Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Cover make the water "too hot" in Phoenix Summer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Cover make the water "too hot" in Phoenix Summer?

Hi all. Quick question as my wife and I finally have enough dough to get our pool built before summer! EXCITED! but also a bit overwhelmed.

Key issue is the advantage of having a pool cover, electric or not. I'm thinking of the electric type with an in-ground reel. Home and Garden Show coming up so hope to meet a few builders and get the process rolling.

Advantages: I think this primarily is a risk reduction focus. We have 4 kids, ages 5-10...and keeping them safe is high priority. We probably would not do a fence if we got a cover. (I think this is ok per city code in Goodyear, AZ) The other key advantages are reduced water evap, chlorine loss, reduced garbage into the pool and filter. (from what I've read on here - thanks all!) Keeps the water warmer in spring and fall - extending the swim season.

Disadvantages: Cost, including eventual replacement cost in 8 years? Major issue: significantly restricts the freeform structure of the pool and other additions.

Key Question: Biggee: would this cover make the water too hot in the middle of summer? Would we need to uncover the pool at night to allow some heat to dissipate? We feel that eliminates the security feature....

Am I missing any major advantage or disadvantage? Thanks all!
    RawhideKid
    Phoenix, AZ (Goodyear actually)
    Pool finally complete!!! IG, 40,635 gallons w/2080 gallon spa with 16 jets. Pool is 40x21 ft with 10 ft deep end; two baja steps
    Pentair Cartridge filter - 520 SQ. PebbleSheen interior. 2 Pentair VS pumps. Pentair Intellichlor SWG
    4 deck jets, 2 bubblers, fake rock grotto/waterfall with wet steps. 3 surrounding half-pergola's with misters in future
    Sunken covered ramada with cabinets, fridge, and wood fireplace. (soon to have big screen TV)
    Basically, 14 years of planning on how to survive this blistering AZ summer!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Cover make the water "too hot" in Phoenix Summer?

I would add solar panels and you can run them at night for cooling the water, so you wouldn't have to uncover the pool. That would solve your safety concern.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I like Bama's idea there. I'd say that without doing what he said or finding some alternative to that, it would make that pool far too hot over there in Phoenix.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you get a pool cover, have it be white or reflective or very light in color and opaque. That will minimize the amount of heating of the pool during the day. When we changed from a light tan to a dark blue cover (both opaque), it made a noticeable difference in temperature rise, even in northern California.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all. We are putting in a waterfall/grotto feature, so perhaps running that a bit will cool off the water. We might add some deck jets as well...not sure yet.

Starting to reconsider solar panels for heating/cooling, although you wouldn't believe how HOT it still is at night mid summer here. It is fairly common to be 100 degrees at 10 pm at night, and get down to only 80 during the night....

thanks again.
    RawhideKid
    Phoenix, AZ (Goodyear actually)
    Pool finally complete!!! IG, 40,635 gallons w/2080 gallon spa with 16 jets. Pool is 40x21 ft with 10 ft deep end; two baja steps
    Pentair Cartridge filter - 520 SQ. PebbleSheen interior. 2 Pentair VS pumps. Pentair Intellichlor SWG
    4 deck jets, 2 bubblers, fake rock grotto/waterfall with wet steps. 3 surrounding half-pergola's with misters in future
    Sunken covered ramada with cabinets, fridge, and wood fireplace. (soon to have big screen TV)
    Basically, 14 years of planning on how to survive this blistering AZ summer!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!!!