Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leaking pool

1. Back To Top    #1

leaking pool

In the process of closing my pool i started losing water. After fighting it I quit adding water. In the next two weeks I have lost almost all of my water except the last three feet in the deep end. If it was the underground piping I thought it would stop leaking when it got below the jets and skimmers but no luck. Then I thought if it was the deep end drain on the bottom it would drain all the way out but it has stalled. Any ideas?
    1) The size of your pool in gallons - 18k? (The pool is kind of a figure 8, approx 40' x 20' at the widest parts, 10' wide at the center. 6' deep in the middle & 3' deep at the two ends.)
    2) The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) - 4 Cartridges
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground) - Above Ground
    4) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter - 2HP & not sure
    Click HERE to see this money pit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leaking pool

What king of pool? A liner pool may be a holed liner. A gunite or F/G is more likely to be a broken main drain line, possible at a coupling.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

If there is a break in the main drain piping, the water will leak until it reaches the level of the break, at which point it is equalized. That may be where you are now.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

Just curious, if the OP had a break in the main drain line, how would you repair it?
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Depends on the pool an type.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Say it was a vinyl pool with a Vermiculite floor?
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu07
    Say it was a vinyl pool with a Vermiculite floor?
    Don't worry. Cross that proverbial bridge when and if you ever get there.
    Thats why I prefer a side wall suction main instead of a floor drain
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.