Armor pools

jatkinson said:
I hear you man. With the economy in the toilet, you'd think I'd be able to get laborers for a 6pack of beer. Not so in my town unfortunately. I am working numbers myself comparing it to gunite, I have the equipment to dig the hole, build the rebar, plumb and wire. What's lacking is someone willing to spray the darn thing for a price that makes sense.

Yes, the economy is tough right now, but the day I go to work for a 6 pack of beer is the day I also get divorced, I'm sure :roll:

This (not to pick on you) is the mentality that I see out there every day now. People seem to think that since the economy is slow, tradespeople will work for free and should be happy to do so. What isn't understood is that prices are already down, and many companies have taken a hit (often, several hits by now) and are fighting just to stay alive. This is not just the "little guys", but also long term, established outfits.

To say that "What's lacking is someone willing to spray the darn thing for a price that makes sense" goes both ways. Here, gunite is still a bit over $200.00 a yard, placed. While I'd love to see my pools get shot for $150.00 a yard, I also want the company to be around next year and beyond to continue shooting my pools. What makes sense to you may or may not make sense to the guy with the equipment and overhead.

I'm not saying you should get gouged, or that companies should gouge the client. I guess I'm just a little touchy that everybody thinks "stupid laborers and tradespeople" should all of a sudden take less for their work since times are tough. I doubt that anyone wants to make any less than they are worth, or what they have been paid in the past. However, it seems that folks that work with their hands are always the first ones to be asked to "work for a six pack". That doesn't do them or their families any good, nor does it assure you the best work.

Rant over :cool: You get what you pay for (not always, but mostly). I'll keep paying my guys well and expect top notch work. I'll also expect them to be around through the tough times and the good. I've never been the cheap guy, and I'm not gonna start now :cheers:

100% in agreement Bruce. Why cant those darn lawyers, bankers, doctors, dentist, Real estate agents.........etc work for a 6 pack that would parity. Do we charge more when we work on a doctor or lawyers pool because they can afford more?
My rant over :)

Well, You guys should have seen what my local PB proposed for 32k. It was the most vanilla pool I had ever seen, with no extras at all. I showed him the door with a quickness. I talked to a friend of mine that had a pool built by the same guy, he said that was the smartest thing I ever did. Be sure references will find you out! The other local guy in my town only does pools with plastic steps bolted on one end. So pretty much, I'm stuck going this on my own. Thank god I found tfp's!

Oh... I'm not sure how Socal compares to Florida, but these days you can get pools built for a song down in Florida. The average person moves about once every seven years. So return of investment is a big factor for me. I DON'T lose money on houses nor am I a house flipper. :cool:

Teapot... When my local PB found out what I do for a living, he saw $$$ and I'm sure that didn't help my situation! There ARE still some people left in this world that pull that nonsense. I'm glad your not one of them.

I found Bruce at Liquiscape.com! I talked to him tonight on the phone. Unfortunately, he no longer does this design work as there isn't much call for it with the current economy. He did say when the website expires, he'll be taking it down. It was kind of a sad story. Looking at his work, he was a gifted artist in his field.

I'm building a spa in La Jolla now (8X8), raised out of the ground 18" on two sides, 30" on the other two, with Sheer Descents in the higher sides. 3 pump system (circ pump, jet pump, water feature pump), 400K heater and 420 SF cartridge filter, 8 function wireless remote system. Probably do Pebble interior, and will have ledger stone on all raised surfaces, inside and out. I should be able to complete this spa for between 35-37K.

Maybe the prices in Florida are much less than here, but I doubt I could build a pool for 32K and offer much by way of upgrades! Absolutely no way I could build a pool/spa combo for any where close to that (probably be closer to 55K).

Sorry to hear about Bruce. To many "low ballers" out there now, working for money under the table and driving down prices (and quality). He is probably suffering from that, which is sad.

Bruce,

Bout the same in New England. 25-30k gallon pebble gunite with heater, swcg, heater, all bells and whisltes would be around 50-60k. Vinyl pool that size loaded run around 35k. And that doesn't include a deck or coping. Florida is on another planet with the cheap prices.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beez said:
simicrintz said:
Is it really that cheap to live in Florida?! Why don't we all live there?
Bruce, I thought you were champion of the "cheaper isn't always better" school? :!:

That's a joke... :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:

:lol: :lol: You are correct, Beez; I don't really have much tolerance for cheap stuff (just been burned too many times when I did go that route, and it just don't pay!). I always appreciate good natured ribbing though, and you made me chuckle :cheers:

I just am amazed at how "inexpensive" things can get built in other parts of the country. It is absolutely mind blowing what we have to pay for things out this way, and when I hear some of the prices quoted in some parts of the country (like Florida!) it flabbergasts me. I know that the equipment or certain materials (like P-Tec, for example) cost the same, so it must come down to labor. However, how does a guy on a $50,000.00 tractor pay off his tractor with cheap labor rates?

I love sunny S. California, but we definitely have a sunshine tax to live here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.