Test Results

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I have not been able to maintain the pool for about 2 weeks or so. No visible signs of algae and since I have no CC, I would say no algae. Well here are my test results

Water Temp: 45-50

FC: .5
CC: .0
TC: .5
pH: 8.2
TA: 100
CH: 250
CYA: <20

I know I need to add acid to briing down pH around 7.4, maybe even 7.2. Bring FC up to around 6, which is where I like to keep it even though it is higher than it should be.

I know CH is on the low side but I assume that is ok in the cold weather as well as with CYA.

So are my suggestions correct or is there other things I need to do?

Thanks.

It's ok to have a low CYA in the winter, assuming that you are diligent enough to not let the FC go to zero. Even though the water is cold and this reduces algae growth and FC loss, it doesn't stop either completely. Just make sure that you always have FC in there.

I'd lower the pH a bit, maybe to 7.4 or 7.5, but probably not more than that. You can address your CH when things start to warm up in the spring.

What is your CH normally, and did you get a lot of rainwater dilution?

Why I ask is because with pH where it is, you might be starting to scale, which takes CH out of the water, and then when you get the pH correct, the scale starts to dissolve back into solution. At least that's been my experience. If it used to be high and now it's low, and you haven't had a lot of dilution, it had to go somewhere; it won't just disappear.

Good advice thus far...I would also suggest that unless you increase your CYA in near future, FC of 6 is a little too high...3ppm as a target should be more than sufficient :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
Good advice thus far...I would also suggest that unless you increase your CYA in near future, FC of 6 is a little too high...3ppm as a target should be more than sufficient :goodjob:

Maybe I will lower my FC some. I have always kept it at 6 with no issues. Usually have a cya of around 30-40. I know 6 is still a little high, but keeps me with no issues and never below the min.

Richard320 said:
What is your CH normally, and did you get a lot of rainwater dilution?

Why I ask is because with pH where it is, you might be starting to scale, which takes CH out of the water, and then when you get the pH correct, the scale starts to dissolve back into solution. At least that's been my experience. If it used to be high and now it's low, and you haven't had a lot of dilution, it had to go somewhere; it won't just disappear.

Well my CH would hold pretty steady. Back around June-July I increased it to around 350-375 and have not messed with it since. So dropping that much in about 6 months I would say is normal. Maybe I am wrong who knows.

My guess would be that since increasing your CH, you have either had a bunch of rain or your fill water has a very low CH and the CH has gone down from top-offs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.