Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Results

I have not been able to maintain the pool for about 2 weeks or so. No visible signs of algae and since I have no CC, I would say no algae. Well here are my test results

Water Temp: 45-50

FC: .5
    CC: .0
    TC: .5
    pH: 8.2
    TA: 100
    CH: 250
    CYA: <20

I know I need to add acid to briing down pH around 7.4, maybe even 7.2. Bring FC up to around 6, which is where I like to keep it even though it is higher than it should be.

I know CH is on the low side but I assume that is ok in the cold weather as well as with CYA.

So are my suggestions correct or is there other things I need to do?

Thanks.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Results

It's ok to have a low CYA in the winter, assuming that you are diligent enough to not let the FC go to zero. Even though the water is cold and this reduces algae growth and FC loss, it doesn't stop either completely. Just make sure that you always have FC in there.

I'd lower the pH a bit, maybe to 7.4 or 7.5, but probably not more than that. You can address your CH when things start to warm up in the spring.

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your CH normally, and did you get a lot of rainwater dilution?

Why I ask is because with pH where it is, you might be starting to scale, which takes CH out of the water, and then when you get the pH correct, the scale starts to dissolve back into solution. At least that's been my experience. If it used to be high and now it's low, and you haven't had a lot of dilution, it had to go somewhere; it won't just disappear.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Good advice thus far...I would also suggest that unless you increase your CYA in near future, FC of 6 is a little too high...3ppm as a target should be more than sufficient
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Good advice thus far...I would also suggest that unless you increase your CYA in near future, FC of 6 is a little too high...3ppm as a target should be more than sufficient
    Maybe I will lower my FC some. I have always kept it at 6 with no issues. Usually have a cya of around 30-40. I know 6 is still a little high, but keeps me with no issues and never below the min.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    What is your CH normally, and did you get a lot of rainwater dilution?

Why I ask is because with pH where it is, you might be starting to scale, which takes CH out of the water, and then when you get the pH correct, the scale starts to dissolve back into solution. At least that's been my experience. If it used to be high and now it's low, and you haven't had a lot of dilution, it had to go somewhere; it won't just disappear.
    Well my CH would hold pretty steady. Back around June-July I increased it to around 350-375 and have not messed with it since. So dropping that much in about 6 months I would say is normal. Maybe I am wrong who knows.

7. Back To Top    #7

My guess would be that since increasing your CH, you have either had a bunch of rain or your fill water has a very low CH and the CH has gone down from top-offs.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    My guess would be that since increasing your CH, you have either had a bunch of rain or your fill water has a very low CH and the CH has gone down from top-offs.
    Yea during the summer I get a lot of water gone from evaporation and have to top off about once every 1.5 weeks or so.