Potential new pool owner

Dec 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
We have a bid in on a house with a pool (it is a short sale, the seller has accepted our offer so we are just waiting on the bank and VA to agree to it) and I stumbled across TFP searching for pool info trying to get smart should the deal go thru. I have been looking thru a few of the new owner threads as well as reading most of the pool school posts that apply (it is an inground pool, I don't know the size or surface yet) and I have a couple of questions that I haven't found answers to yet.

1. I am pretty sure that there are a few things missing in terms of equipment such as leaf rake, skimmer, etc. Is there a checklist of absolute minimum equipment that I will need to maintain the pool that I can use during inspection, etc. to build up a shopping list to get me started?

2. The pool has not been maintained for some time and the water is seriously green and I know it will be much worse by the time we close. We tried to make it a condition of the sale to have it cleaned prior to closing but they shot that down (but did agree to additional money back at closing). I don't think that it is out of deception, but simply not being able to afford it (the house is in pre-forclosure). We have spoken with a local pool service company about cleaning it and they gave a quote of $350 + chemicals, but could not be more specific without looking at the pool (we tried to get them to come out and give us a better quote but never returned the call from our realtor to schedule a time). My question, then, is since I am a pool noob would I be better off paying a professional to do the initial cleaning and get myself started on the right foot or is it still reasonable for me to do it myself?

You can turn even a seriously green swamp into a crystal clear oasis on your own if you wish. All the information you need is on this site and there are many here who will help you on the way.

You will need a good test kit such as the TF-100, a lot of bleach, and some patience. There are many success stories on this forum with pics that show the transformation from swamp to clear.

Once you get the specs of the pool, be sure to put them in your signature. That will help us to answer your questions more accurately when you get to that point.

Good luck with the closing, and welcome to the forum!

Welcome to TFP.

Cleaning it up (while a job) is certainly doable. If you've already started reading Pool School you should concentrate on the basics and then "Turning your swamp in to a sparkling oasis". By the time you close you'll be ready to tackle the job yourself.

And we're always here to help. :)

I stopped by the house yesterday to check out some of the equipment (water is black now :( ). Its got a Pentair Rainbow Lifeguard Model 300...from what I have read that is a tablet chlorinator, correct? It also is running a cartridge filter, Hayward model C12002. Pool surface is plaster. There are 2 Hayward pumps, one main and one boost...I didn't think to look at the size. Is it possible to guesstimate the pool size based on the equipment installed?

Calmari said:
I stopped by the house yesterday to check out some of the equipment (water is black now :( ). Its got a Pentair Rainbow Lifeguard Model 300...from what I have read that is a tablet chlorinator, correct? It also is running a cartridge filter, Hayward model C12002. Pool surface is plaster. There are 2 Hayward pumps, one main and one boost...I didn't think to look at the size. Is it possible to guesstimate the pool size based on the equipment installed?
Can you measure the dimensions of the pool? That would be the easiest way to get a good idea.

Calmari said:
My question, then, is since I am a pool noob would I be better off paying a professional to do the initial cleaning and get myself started on the right foot or is it still reasonable for me to do it myself?

I highly encourage you to do it yourself. It will be an adventure and a big learning experience with how your pool reacts, the equipment, and the test kit. You'll gain first hand knowledge of your pool very early, and it will be a big confidence boost. Plus, "swamp" threads are always very active on this board, especially if you post a lot of pictures.

The only catch might be if the equipment is not working. If you are a little handy and willing to ask, there are a lot of equipment experts on this board as well.

Good luck on the short sale!

Calmari, welcome to TFP where you will find many great knowledgeable people willing to help you :wave: Sounds like you have a great pool and unless you have lots and lots of money and you want to get ripped off, I suggest getting to know how to take care of your pool :whoot: It is really very simple and easy and the folks here will guide step by step in helping you take care of your pool :party: :cheers: :cheers:

shay1208 said:
Calmari said:
Can you measure the dimensions of the pool? That would be the easiest way to get a good idea.

The wife did a little searching in public records and found that it is supposed to be 16,000 gal. Aside from that, still waiting on word from the bank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.