Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Purple line in spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Purple line in spa

What causes a purple line around spa at water level

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Purple line in spa

Welcome to TFP!

Not really sure. Does the line wipe away easily or is it more of a stain? Do you have any test results?

3. Back To Top    #3

Copper algaecide.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sometimes manganese in the water can cause purple staining, but I suspect Bruce is right.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Welcome to TFP!

Not really sure. Does the line wipe away easily or is it more of a stain? Do you have any test results?

Yes the line wipes easily. I have used test strips and liquid tests but results make no sense ---for example a test strip where chlorine should read from white to medium blue , turns virtually black and ph lo and alkalinity high.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    Copper algaecide.
    where would the copper algaecide come from? I use dichlor granules and non-chlorine shock treatment that is 75% sodium persulfate and 25% "other ingredients"

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!!

Can we get a full set of water test #s, please?

Where are you located? (there are bio-films that appear purple/pink in certain areas of the country)

The reason I ask for this is that your film wipes off easily, which leads me to think "bio-film"

Please answer my questions, so we can give a proper diagnosis (and it won't hurt to up your sanitizer in the meantime )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!!

Can we get a full set of water test #s, please?

Where are you located? (there are bio-films that appear purple/pink in certain areas of the country)

The reason I ask for this is that your film wipes off easily, which leads me to think "bio-film"

Please answer my questions, so we can give a proper diagnosis (and it won't hurt to up your sanitizer in the meantime )
    I live in Thousand Oaks CA about 40 miles northwest of Los Angeles
    Sorry I felt out of control so I dumped the water and refilled. Dont think I could have given you good test results anyway especially for chlorine. Be it test strip or liquid test the color was so different that I dont know what number I could give you [test strip was virtually black where white thru light blue is expected]. ph seemed to be around 6.8 and alkalinity about 240 ppm.

9. Back To Top    #9

Dumping the water was probably your best way to start over. Now that you have a fresh start, it would be best to invest in a good test kit such as the TF100 or Taylor K2006, otherwise you'll get frustrated again down the road and not be able to confirm whether the water you are soaking in is safe . The key to pool/spa water maintenance is having a handle on your water chemistry and you can't do that with strips. Take a chance to check out pool school...button on upper right of the page
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Dumping the water was probably your best way to start over. Now that you have a fresh start, it would be best to invest in a good test kit such as the TF100 or Taylor K2006, otherwise you'll get frustrated again down the road and not be able to confirm whether the water you are soaking in is safe . The key to pool/spa water maintenance is having a handle on your water chemistry and you can't do that with strips. Take a chance to check out pool school...button on upper right of the page

Thank you I will do that including getting a Taylor test kit, but "ouch" on the price, also I realize that this is a good, responsive site and I need to load data on my spa if i want meaningful responses