Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA and Freezing cold!

1. Back To Top    #1

TA and Freezing cold!

Hi everyone, my new plaster pool just turned 2 months old and I have a couple of questions if I may. I'm in Oklahoma and it gets fairly cold, 19 deg tonight, What temp do most of you set your freeze protection for? The lowest mine goes is 33, is that usually safe, or should I keep it at 35-36 where the pb had it? The Sensor reads 2-3 deg higher than it is outside...but is should take awhile for all that water to cool off, except in the booster pump....hmmmm.

Ta-60 ph-7.8 cya 40, ch 260, fc 3, I want to do the bbb thing but I'm using pucks thru the winter. My ta keeps drifting down and ph climbs. I've reset the ta twice up to 110. I add a qt. of acid every other day to keep ph down under 8, should I be worried about the ta, or let it stay at 50-60 and just dial in the ph for now? And how about that ch??

This is a GREAT site and I've learned sooo much already,

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: TA and Freezing cold!

Hey Leasa, anything freezing or above (32ºF) will be fine. There's always some dead-band built in so once it goes below freezing it'll have to get slightly above to turn it off. Make sure every piece of equipment is valved in (i.e. the water can flow through it when the pump runs).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Use baking soda to keep TA at around 70-80 and muratic acid to keep PH in the 7.2-7.6 range. Do not let it goe over 7.8 for extended periods

Welcome to TFP
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you testing the water sample at room temperature?
    Pool #1 IG 24k Diamond Brite plaster with spill-over spa. Jandy Aqua Link RS One Touch with built into pool floor cleaner. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket feeding Hayward top mount Zeosand filter. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket for Spa Jets. Heat Siphon pool heat pump. Dolphin Robotic pool cleaner.

Pool #2 IG 35K 20X40 Vinyl. Hayward top mount Zeosand filter with Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. Chemical Free pool using Water Doctor Copper Ion Generator, PoolSkim, Polaris 9300 Sport robotic pool cleaner, Heat Siphon pool heat pump, solar blanket, Ameri-Dome 50X30 dome enclosure during Winter.

5. Back To Top    #5

No, I haven't been letting it warm up, should I? I thought I read that you want to test asap to get the most acurate reading...

6. Back To Top    #6

San Rafael, CA USA

The pH test is the only one that should be at the pool's original temperature. All other tests may be done at room temperature and some tests, such as the CYA test, really should be at room temperature. The CH test goes faster when at room temperature. I don't think it matters much with the TA test as acid/base and even dye reactions are pretty darn fast even at colder temperatures.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"