Backup valve question

tcrb

Bronze Supporter
Aug 14, 2010
Houston, TX
I have a Pentair Legend II pool cleaner with a Letro backup valve. I noticed that it was getting stuck on the steps and the backup was not cycling. Dis-assembly of the valve revealed that the gear mechanism inside is stripped and no longer functional. The valve casing appears to be in good condition and I can buy a new gear assembly for around $48 online. Or I can get a whole new valve for just $8 more. None of the local pool stores carry parts for the Letro, but during my search for a new gear assembly at the local stores, one of the sales people told me I should just replace the Letro with a Polaris backup valve, as their design was much better. At the time, I thought he was just trying to make a sale, since Polaris was the only brand the store carried. But before I order a newLetro backup valve, I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone had an opinion as to how the two brands compared to one another. As far as cost goes, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two brands.

Can I replace my Letro backup valve with a Polaris-made model?
Is the Polaris more reliable than the Letro?
If I go with a Polaris, there are several models....which model should I purchase?

Thanks in advance.

if you're replacing the whole valve, either one should work fine. The backup valve assys are kind of well known for problems, since their gears spin constantly & wear out. But, 50/60 bucks every few years shouldn't be a major deal.

Ranger987 said:
if you're replacing the whole valve, either one should work fine. The backup valve assys are kind of well known for problems, since their gears spin constantly & wear out. But, 50/60 bucks every few years shouldn't be a major deal.

So as far as performance and service life, you'd say that both brands are comparable?

I've never done a "side-by-side" comparison, so I can't say which will actually work longer, but it seems to me that they're about equal. Someone else here may have a more detailed analysis. If the original one lasted a couple of years, that's pretty good. Make sure to check the inline screen on the hose that supplies water to the cleaner & if you start seeing significant debris buildup, look for a problem inside your main filter. Debris getting into the gears is one of the primary reasons for failure, as is water chemistry. If you're seeing rust on the stainless pieces of the gear assy., watch your chemistry more carefully.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.