Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help us finalize our sport pool depth...

1. Back To Top    #1

Help us finalize our sport pool depth...

Just signed a contract to get a 18'x36' kidney shaped vinyl lined IGP installed in the spring. We can go anywhere from 3.5' to 8' for the same price. We are leaning toward a sport pool as we have two girls 2 and 4 and will be doing our share of entertaining as well with adults. Thinking volleyball net in the middle perhaps. My initial reaction is 3.5' to 5.5' to 3.5'. this will result in a water level of 3' x 5' x 3'. It seems a little shallow. Let me know what you guys have done and if it works or if you would tweak it if you could do it all over again.

Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help us finalize our sport pool depth...

3' is a bit shallow, but not by much. In my area, we seldom see depth less than 3.5, and a 3.5x5x4 is pretty common. Measure to the waist of an average size adult (you and your family primarily), it's nice to consider that some folks arent as tall, others are taller, but you will be the one using the pool most. If they want a deeper pool, they can build their own...lol. Consider what the pool will be used for 80% of the time. This will likely be floating, splashing, slow swimming - relaxation type stuff, rather than serious competition, lap swimming, olympic diving... you get the idea. I think 8.5' would be needed for a diving pool, but unless you want the dive board & higher insurance costs, it may be better to leave it off & go shallow.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yea, no diving board or slide in the plans... thus, no deep end.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can see pics my pool at the link below. We are at ~3ft - 4 ft - 5ft. We use a <$10 inflatable volleyball next in the middle and it works OK. Had to fill some gallon jugs with sand and water to anchor the net since it wants to wander when its windy.
    One thing to remember that when you have heavy rains the water level can be about 3" higher. I'm 6"3' and the deep end has been up to nose level.
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I would think that 4 to 4.5 ft. would be about right for a sport pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the deep middle or shallow ends? Or did you mean go from 4 to 4.5 gradual taper.

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    I would think that 4 to 4.5 ft. would be about right for a sport pool.