Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hot Tub Water Level Keeps Dropping

1. Back To Top    #1

Hot Tub Water Level Keeps Dropping

I have a pool spa combo when in standard pool fiter mode flows from the spa in to the pool. My problem is when I am running my spa the water level drops quite significantly. It have gotten down to the point of the jets being exposed. So I have to keep putting it into spa fill mode to get the water level up. Any ideas as to what might be happening? I do not think it is a leak since when I put it back into regular filter mode the water level is the same. Also any suggestions on remedies please.

Thanks,

Justin
    21,550 Gallon Plaster Pool With Attached Hot Tub, 2.5 HP Pentair Challenger, 60 Sq Ft FNS Plus DE Filter, Aqua Rite SWG T-15 Cell, Aqualink PDA PS8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hot Tub Water Level Keeps Dropping

Most likely, the return side valve isn't sealing off the pool in spa mode properly. Remove the actuator and pull the top of the valve. I'll bet the gasket is shot.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Not to hijack this but could this also be the case with the water level dropping when the pump is off? Lose 1/2 - inch each night.
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Sta-Rite SR400LP Maxi-therm propane heater, Jandy aquapure/apurem 1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks PoolGuyNJ I'll check that. Towney no problem, I also lose water in my spa after the pump has been shut off for a while. I will check that gasket and let y'all know.
    21,550 Gallon Plaster Pool With Attached Hot Tub, 2.5 HP Pentair Challenger, 60 Sq Ft FNS Plus DE Filter, Aqua Rite SWG T-15 Cell, Aqualink PDA PS8

5. Back To Top    #5

towney, if you have a raised spa and lose water when it's off only, it's likely the check valve that is leaking.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!! Walker

Scott's doing a GREAT job of handling this, but I'll proffer my $.02

If the spa s still draining when in "spa" mode, either the actuator is not set properly or there is a leak in the valve (as Scott suggested)

For towney, I think there is an open line to the pool, like the spa overflow is on, that allows the spa level to equalize with the pool level, via the system Pics and more info would certainly help us diagnose this
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!! Walker

For towney, I think there is an open line to the pool, like the spa overflow is on, that allows the spa level to equalize with the pool level, via the system Pics and more info would certainly help us diagnose this
    What pictures would help? This is also a raise spa and it does not seem I'm losing water from the pool so I suspect not a leak. I replaced the inside of the check valve about 1 1/2 yrs ago (Jandy check valve).
    Could the level loss be from me switching my fountain riser that just comes below the spa water line to a stub that is about 10 inches from the bottom of the spa? I do this to help circulate the water at the bottom when in pool mode.
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Sta-Rite SR400LP Maxi-therm propane heater, Jandy aquapure/apurem 1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

8. Back To Top    #8

In terms of rebuiding the valves are there go-kits for this? Is it more detailed than just replacing gaskets? What is the difficulty of doing it myself?

9. Back To Top    #9

Most of the time, when I fix a valve, I just get a replacement, remove the screws and swap the guts. The body stays. That eliminates any gluing and I'm done in 10 minutes.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the info guys. Already got new guts ordered.