Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pentair challenger pump leak

1. Back To Top    #1

pentair challenger pump leak

I have a Pentair Challenger 1 1/2 pool pump (CH II-N1_1 1/2A) that has a steady leak around the large square "O" ring around the outside of the pump housing.

I replaced the "O" ring after greasing it with silicone pool fitting grease but it continues to leak as before.

is it possible that the clamping ring has stretched or spread over time and is no longer the right shape? and if so should i try to squeeze it or gently hammer it into a tighter shape.

The pump is running a series of waterfalls and has a head of 30 psi. This may be to high for this pump.

13000 gal IG Diamond Brite surface. Sta-Rite 37 sq ft System 3 DE w/ torn grids soon to be replaced by a Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: pentair challenger pump leak

If the leak is coming out at the bottom of where the motor meets the pump body, it's the seal set that is leaking.

WRT the 30PSI reading, is the pressure guage zeroing out when the pump is off? A true 30 PSI reading would indicate a restriction, be it from an extended distance and height or a discharge line collapse.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.