Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: in search of a pump

1. Back To Top    #1

in search of a pump

im planning on draining my pool and was wondeing if anyone would know of a good pump to get to drain 26000 gallons.thanks
    Please put the following information in your signature.

1) The size of your pool in gallons 26000 g
    2) The type filter i have is cartridge
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) it's IG,plaster
    5) pump is .50 1.98sf .99thp and the (flow rate) of the filter is 120 gpm.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: in search of a pump

What is the reason you're draining it?

You can rent a pump that would do it at most rental places. A big centrifugal pump is all you need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Go BIG. If it's just a one-time thing, rent one. Otherwise you'll be spending a couple hundred bucks.

I bought the smallest submersible pump they sell at Lowes, 1/3 HP I think it was.
    Anyway, it really suffers when hooked to a long hose. Right now I can barely keep up with the rainfall. How's 400 gallons/hour sound? Not very good, huh?

If there's a way to shut off your skimmers and use your pool pump and the main drain, you're set. I was amazed at the flow when I backflushed my filter yesterday. My guesstimate is about 250GPM, out a 100' 1½" hose!

EDIT: Pump is 1/6 HP, and it died when I left it run overnight, sometime during the night. I stand by Go BIG.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

I'm guessing since there is a cartridge filter that there is no waste line. Destn76, if you are handy or know someone who is, you can always install a "T" with a valve and threaded coupling for a waste line. That will allow you to vacuum to waste or drain your pool using your pool pump if desired.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!