Skimmer plate and plug or just plug? How much Anti-freeze?

lsbarkley

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
New Jersey
First time closing my fiberglass pool. Should I get a skimmer plug plus the skimmer plate cover or just the skimmer plug?

Also how much antifreeze to purchase? intheswim.com sells a gallon that cover 10ft of 1 1/2" line. Seems like I would need a ton based on that.

Polyquat60 (algecide)...how much is needed for a 9500 gallon pool....1 quart?

Thanks for all the info.

Ls

As far as I know, skimmer covers aren't available for inground pools. I use a gizmo in the line, an empty antifreeze bottle partially collapsed with the lid on wedged into the skimmer opening to hold the weir flat, and a bunch of cut up pool noodles in the skimmer itself and any where else that I can pack them in around the gizmo and bottle.

For the antifreeze, buy it at Walmart for less than $3 a gallon. It will be labelled RV antifreeze, but read the label and you'll see it's for pools too. Much cheaper and no shipping. I use 4 gallons for my pool, because it only has to take care of the water that's left in the line, not the whole thing.

Ls, before spending money on that, make sure that it will mate with your skimmer. Just from the picture I know that it's not compatible with Hayward skimmers (there are 2 extra screws)

There's nothing wrong with skimmer doors, especially if you don't want to drain any water. I'd use the gizzmo and foam as per John's suggestion.

Hadn't seen the inground version before. I'm not sure there is as much benefit on an IG pool since the skimmer will still hold water when the pool is winterized. You still have to protect the skimmer because it will fill with rainwater or snow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.