Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover for solar reel

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover for solar reel

Hi all,

Our solar cover came with a simple piece of white plastic to use to cover the rolled-up cover on-the-reel. After two full seasons, the white plastic has now given up the ghost during some windy days this last week (and I was never very happy with it, since it required bungees to keep in place). For winter storage, I found this sort of cover

My question is: can this also be used for summer? I have been under the impression that you want to cover your rolled-up solar cover with something white/ reflective to keep it from cooking itself when sitting out in the summer sun on the reel. Should I also be looking for another summertime cover in addition to the above?

Or, does anyone know where a durable white cover can be found that also incorporates sewn-in velcro closures? I need at least a 20' cover, 22' preferable..

Thanks in advance!
    29,000 gal. vinyl in-ground mountain lake (freeform); Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers, AutoPilot SWG, 2 - 4 X 20 Fafco Solar Bears with Goldline control, Aquabot, LoopLoc winter cover, Pool installed March 2009...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover for solar reel

You have the same winter cover I have. You really need the white one w/ the velcro for summer. We bought a new one last spring from poolcenter.com.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cover for solar reel

Thanks for the tip! I'll contact poolcenter to see if/when they'll be getting some in...
    29,000 gal. vinyl in-ground mountain lake (freeform); Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers, AutoPilot SWG, 2 - 4 X 20 Fafco Solar Bears with Goldline control, Aquabot, LoopLoc winter cover, Pool installed March 2009...