Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water drains from in ground spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Water drains from in ground spa

Hi-
    My spa kicked on for cleaning a while ago and began making an awful racket. The water had drained below the jets. I understand from some friends that I need to replace a seal on my pool pump. Is that correct? Thanks for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water drains from in ground spa

Did you look?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not sure where I would look. I have a North Star pool motor. Do I have to disassemble it to replace the seal? I talked with someone at the local pool supply store, and he suggested that it might be the check valve. I'm not sure where to start, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suspect the check valve if you are not visual seeing any water leaking by the pump. Does the water line drop everyday?

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!

I believe Sal is on the right track and that the water is equalizing with the pool.

If you want to tell if the seal on the pump is bad, look for a drip at the motor/ pump housing when the pump has been running for ~ 10 minutes. If the seal is bad, I can talk you through the replacement
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought he had a portable tub. Missed the North-Star mention.

Merf1972, please give use more information. Right now, it's like me telling a doctor via email that my arm hurts and asking him what's wrong.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.