Does anyone know IntelliChlor Transformer power use profile?

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
How many amps/watts to initialize from a hard start, ie. when system is turned on, how much power does the IntelliChlor transformer and IC40 Cell combo draw at 240vac ?

Am estimating about 200-400watts ?

Am installing a Functional Devices RIB Relay/Contactor which monitors the VF pump power consumption and turns the IntelliChlor transformer on or off based on VF power curve.

Description:
RIB Power Series - 20, 30A Relays
The RIB Power Series has relay contacts rated for 20
and 30A. They require modest coil drive current and are
used for direct switching and control of heavy electrical
circuits, such as large resistive, motor, and lighting
loads.

At 240 volts, it draws an amp, so 240 watts. If you run it 6 hours out of every 24, at $0.15 per KwH, it costs ~$6.50 a month. With just the transformer running with no current, I wouldnt know, but I assume much less than that. You could call Pentair or use an amp meter and find out.
Are you concerned about the electricity it uses or transformer life?

> Are you concerned about the electricity it uses or transformer life?

not interested at all about electricity use. only needed to know the initial start power use.

(...have a Ted5000 which monitors entire house power use...)

the relay will disable start of the transformer which powers the IC40 cell if the flow rate is below 15 GPM on the VF pump. this allows me to run pump 24 hr / day without the IntelliChlor being powered. once VF pump power exceeds 100watts (even for a moment..) the Relay turns on 240vac to the IntelliChlor transformer and monitors the VF power curve until it drops below 100watts again, in turn shutting down power to the IntelliChlor.

> advantage to have all this capability?

IYR (..and you commented in the other threads..), the direct connect 240vac for the IntelliChlor and IntelliFlow leaves the IntelliChlor system perpetually in a "..must sense salt levels, must detect flow rates.." state where currently my new pool has no salt (under 700 ppm from liquid source) and with pump running at 95 watts 24 hours daily providing too low flow for the IC40 cell to operate (RED Flow LED is ON), but not enough intelligence to shut the transformer OFF with too low flow detected.

Thus, the IntelliChlor is left in a state where it attempts to diagnose sodium levels (top two LED lights are performing an idiotic dance, never stops due to the Flow LED being RED).

Having a control relay allows for an intelligent turn ON of the 240vac power to the IntelliChlor transformer and it allows for an intelligent turn OFF power same way. The relay is very inexpensive and I use control relays in other applications in a similar way where I need to determine power use and decide if other circuits need to be turned on or off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.