Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Handheld/Portable TDS Meters

Handheld/Portable TDS Meters

Anyone with experience with these units - good/bad.

Thanks
    55,000gal+/- salt water, DE filter, Pebble. Yes it is that large.

Re: Handheld/Portable TDS Meters

Not really, but my question is why do you want one? TDS doesnt really give you any useful information. You are much better off using a high quality drop based test kit to measure your water parameters.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

We use them for our business. They are ok for a quick reading, but not very accurate at multiple scales. Our probes scale is 0 -10,000 ppm. Example, if TDS is between 4,000 and 5,000 ppm our meter is fairly accurate. If I want a reading between 8,000 - 9,000 ppm, forget about it. Same goes for 0 - 250 ppm, not very acccurate. They have more accurate probes that read uS, but are very expensive, or an older Myron L Company analog type meter.

Quote Originally Posted by salp
    We use them for our business. They are ok for a quick reading, but not very accurate at multiple scales. Our probes scale is 0 -10,000 ppm. Example, if TDS is between 4,000 and 5,000 ppm our meter is fairly accurate. If I want a reading between 8,000 - 9,000 ppm, forget about it. Same goes for 0 - 250 ppm, not very acccurate. They have more accurate probes that read uS, but are very expensive, or an older Myron L Company analog type meter.
    Can you PM me with the make/model?

Thanks
    55,000gal+/- salt water, DE filter, Pebble. Yes it is that large.

I will later tonight