Legend II pump setting

FLA Rider

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I am new to pools, mine was completed a couple a weeks ago. I have a Legend II cleaner, I have a VS-3050 pump, I turned the pump on full 3450 rpm with the return value turned on only about 1/5 and the Legend II will not move. I turned the return value off and I can turn the pump down to 2800 rpm and have the Legend II move and the minimum speed. Is this normal? I can never get a straight answer from my PB.

It's not surprising that your PB can't answer your question. They usually don't have a lot of experience with cleaners and quite honestly, what's normal for your system might not be for another.

2800 rpm sounds about right but the most important thing it that the wheels turn between 25 and 32 rpm. Whatever pump speed that takes is what you should run.

Bama Rambler said:
It's not surprising that your PB can't answer your question. They usually don't have a lot of experience with cleaners and quite honestly, what's normal for your system might not be for another.

2800 rpm sounds about right but the most important thing it that the wheels turn between 25 and 32 rpm. Whatever pump speed that takes is what you should run.

Thanks, Yes at 2800 RPM the wheels turn 25 RPM. So it is normal that you have to turn off the pool returns to get enough pressure for the cleaner?

I need to get a couple more value actuators. to automate my system. I have an intellitouch 7+3 and the PB did not include actuators for the cleaner, bubbles or pool return. Who would have though that when you get a full automation system that they don't put actuators on all the lines :(

In my pool with The Pool Cleaner that only needs 15 GPM to operate, I found that I needed to operate it on a dedicated line and not have any returns operating. There simply is too much resistance from the cleaner relative to regular returns and it needs enough pressure to operate. Some people using fixed-speed pumps have them connected to a return, but that's at full speed. On my dedicated line, my pool cleaner operates at 15 GPM, 1955 RPM, 425 Watts with the wheels turning at around 14 RPM. If I remove The Pool Cleaner, then the dedicated line on its own at 15 GPM has the IntelliFlo VF pump run at 1370 RPM, 200 Watts. The difference in pressure in these two scenarios is around 6.5 PSI so that's the resistance of the cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.