Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I doing it right?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I doing it right?

Aloha, I have been using my converted 20' container year round for almost 2 years and wondering if I am doing enough to keep the water clean? (runs 80-83 degrees year round). Basically I put in about a quart of bleach from Costco a day and once a week I check and tune the PH and Chlorine levels with a K-mart tester. Water is usually very clear and If I notice a little algae growing on the sides, I may add 2 quarts for that day and all is well.

My question is: should I leave well enough alone? Or should I be doing more sophisticated tests because I may be missing something. (about a year ago I sent a sample to a pool supply and he said all is fine and the only thing he could sell me was some water chrystal - clear blue stuff.

7800 Gal. 8' wide x 20' long x 7' deep
    Hayward 1200 Cartridge 7200 GPH, Waterworks 1/8 hp 2400 GPH
    Made from 20 Container Lined with "PolyUrea/Rhino Lining"
    Workshop, welding etc,+office+living area running off grid on 10kw PV

2. Back To Top    #2
    Fleming Island, FL

Re: Am I doing it right?

Francis, it is very difficult to tell if you are properly taking care of your pool without seeing test results from your water testing. Please post a list of your current water test results so we can determine if what you are doing is well enough. Is this an indoor or outdoor pool? I wish my pool was 80-83 degrees year round, you are lucky.
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Am I doing it right?

You should be testing each time before you add bleach. If you're not then you're just guessing at what to add. Sorry to say, but the fact that you have algae once in a while says you're not doing it right. A good test kit would be your friend and then you wouldn't have to ask if you're doing it right, you'd know you were.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit