anybody know anything about these self contained pool vacs?

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
They are the battery operated self contained units that go on the end of any telescopic poles. They operate just like your home vacuume cleaner in that there is a bag inside that catches debris inside the mesh bag. I have read a lot of mixed review, and do not know what to think...if anyone here uses them please let me know if they are worth the money?

I was looking at a Blaster Max or Catfish Max or something like that. Anyone got any ideas?

Try the search feature here, I know I've seen some references. The reviews have been mixed as I recall. I really wanted one a while ago, but finances didn't allow such an expensive toy at the time. I've actually gotten pretty good now at stirring things up a little then grabbing the bigger pieces with the leaf skimmer. And I've also become a pretty good shot at sweeping things into the main drain.

I think I'll wait til you buy one and use it a while and post your review. :p

I don't have recent experience, but a number of years ago I used a couple of those for my company. While the suction they generated wasn't terribly impressive, the main problem was that the batteries were poor quality & didn't last long. I had to recharge often & the batteries died pretty quickly & there wasn't any way to replace the rechargeables. Batteries have come a long way since then, but I decided it wasn't that big of a problem to hook up the manual vac. But in wintertime now, might be worth trying...lol.

I have a Pool Blaster Max and it works great for me. When I first got it it leaked and shorted out the battery and motor but got it replaced for just s/h. I use it every weekend for about 20 minutes to get the fine stuff off the bottom and can use it about 4 times before recharging. The collection bag that comes with it is for debris but sometimes get's a little grit. They also make a silt bag for it but I don't have one. I really like it for a quick clean up.

SCCS said:
I have a Pool Blaster Max and it works great for me. When I first got it it leaked and shorted out the battery and motor but got it replaced for just s/h. I use it every weekend for about 20 minutes to get the fine stuff off the bottom and can use it about 4 times before recharging. The collection bag that comes with it is for debris but sometimes get's a little grit. They also make a silt bag for it but I don't have one. I really like it for a quick clean up.

Those were the problems I read with the Blaster Max...that the screws rusted and caused leaking. It only comes with a limited one year warranty. How long have you had the second one?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.