Is what Im doing dangerous for my pool / spa

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey guys,

I ordered a safety cover for my pool and attached spa about 2 weeks ago. Im still waiting for it to come in and my pool guy to install. I live in NY. Should take another week or two.

Its VERY cold in NY right now. Anywhere from 25degrees to 30degrees. Wind chill makes it feel colder.

My pool guy (who is a genius) told me not to worry about it. He says ground temps are still high enough where I dont have to worry, and just to keep it running as much as possible.
I dont mind that. I have it running 24/7 right now. But my concern is the spill-over-spa. That isnt running. Its raised about 8 inches out of the ground.

Since I cant really run that and the pool, its pretty much off. The top layer of water keeps freezing. I just break it up, run it for a little while, and then turn the pool back on.

Is there a significant risk of the pipes at the spa freezing and having problems?
He says no. But I would like some 2nd, 3rd opinions. :mrgreen:

I would have a hard time chancing it.

Why cant you close the pool and just wait the 2 weeks for the cover? Raise the water to shock level, and blow out the lines. You might get a little debris in the pool w/o the cover, but by now it shouldnt be too much.

I would assume that it's valved so you could keep some spillover from the spa into the pool. It wouldn't take much to keep the ice off the spa. Having said that, at those temps, it's unlikely that you'd be risking any structural damage to the spa. Normally, I'm more concerned with exposed pipes which have water standing in them. You're more likely to burst a pipe than damage a reinforced concrete structure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.