Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is what Im doing dangerous for my pool / spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Is what Im doing dangerous for my pool / spa

Hey guys,

I ordered a safety cover for my pool and attached spa about 2 weeks ago. Im still waiting for it to come in and my pool guy to install. I live in NY. Should take another week or two.

Its VERY cold in NY right now. Anywhere from 25degrees to 30degrees. Wind chill makes it feel colder.

My pool guy (who is a genius) told me not to worry about it. He says ground temps are still high enough where I dont have to worry, and just to keep it running as much as possible.
    I dont mind that. I have it running 24/7 right now. But my concern is the spill-over-spa. That isnt running. Its raised about 8 inches out of the ground.

Since I cant really run that and the pool, its pretty much off. The top layer of water keeps freezing. I just break it up, run it for a little while, and then turn the pool back on.

Is there a significant risk of the pipes at the spa freezing and having problems?
    He says no. But I would like some 2nd, 3rd opinions.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is what Im doing dangerous for my pool / spa

I would have a hard time chancing it.

Why cant you close the pool and just wait the 2 weeks for the cover? Raise the water to shock level, and blow out the lines. You might get a little debris in the pool w/o the cover, but by now it shouldnt be too much.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Why can't you circulate water through the spa?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Exactly my thoughts - its a spill over spa, so why can't you have it operate in that mode?
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by lborne
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Exactly my thoughts - its a spill over spa, so why can't you have it operate in that mode?
    I can. But I have it operating on pool mode 99% of the time to keep the pool water moving.
    I guess I can do half / half...
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would assume that it's valved so you could keep some spillover from the spa into the pool. It wouldn't take much to keep the ice off the spa. Having said that, at those temps, it's unlikely that you'd be risking any structural damage to the spa. Normally, I'm more concerned with exposed pipes which have water standing in them. You're more likely to burst a pipe than damage a reinforced concrete structure.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.