Storing waterfall pump.....plugs for pipes?

Jul 7, 2007
Allen, Texas
Hi all,
I'm considering uninstalling my waterfall pump for the winter, to save the electricity when it runs below freezing. I know I'll have to blow out the above ground lines, but I'm wondering if there are "plugs" which can be screwed into the open ends of my piping (the ends that normally connected to my pump). The pump is a Jandy 1.5 hp Stealth pump. Worse case, I could cover the ends with plastic bags or something similar, but a plug would be better (and I could drill/mount a bike tire valve in one, to aid in blowing out the lines).

Mike

They make expandable plugs for just that purpose. Search for winterizing plugs and you'll find plenty. They make different sizes to match your pipe sizes. They even make one with a schrader <sp> valve already in it.

Thanks Dave.....I found the plugs easily online, based on "winterizing plugs", but haven't found the one with a schrader valve. I'm going to also check the local HW store for a possible plug that I could drill myself for a schrader valve.

Quick update: I searched around locally for a screw-type plug (like a PVC sewer cap) that I could screw to my pipe ends, where the pump used to be connected (inlet and outlet). However, Jandy's pumps have a odd sized connection.....it's not 3" or 4", but something inbetween and is a size not stocked in standard HW stores (I checked at Lowes and Home Depot). I shouldn't be surprised. I did find winterizing plugs that would fit inside the pipes themselves, but I wanted something I could screw on the end and also drill a hole in for blowing out the lines.

Solution: 3" rubber sewer cap (with screw down strap). These caps have enough stretch that they will fit over the ends of the Jandy mounts glued to my pipes. I drilled a small hole in one that I can insert my rubber air blower attachment from my air compressor. This allowed me to blow out the lines, and then I just put a piece of electrical tape over the hole I drilled to keep any dirt out until I remove the cap and reinstall the pump in the spring.

As a good Texas fellow, I can't imagine why you'd opt for that fancy electrical tape, instead of gool ol' duct tape! But don't use the Camo color, since you might not be able to find the pipe again in spring. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.