why does IC40 Low salt flicker between Red&Green w/pump off?

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
IntelliFlow VF is off (No Water Flow - Pump is always energized with 240vac power due to control module programming)

Why do the 2 top LED's flicker between Red and Green? There is no salt in pool, to be precise, less than 600 ppm which is from liquid bleach only and is deliberate since pool is new and I have no plans to add salt until warmer weather or sometime in January earliest.

Thought it would only measure system when pump running?

1zducmu.jpg

I'ts normal for an Intellichlor to go through the process for measuring the salinity. How long its in that mode, i couldnt tell you. if it measures salinity, it stays in that mode maybe 10 minutes (mine does). With no salt in the pool, i dunno. My advice is to not worry about it.

Would it be correct to assume you do not have automation, i.e., Easytouch?

If I am wrong and you do, then the system should turn off the Intellichlor when the pump is off and I think the wiring should be looked at.

lbridges said:
Would it be correct to assume you do not have automation, i.e., Easytouch?

If I am wrong and you do, then the system should turn off the Intellichlor when the pump is off and I think the wiring should be looked at.

Susa doesnt have an Easytouch. He has the stand alone power center.

Couple things here. There are really 2 definitions of "off" here.

1) Off as in not able to generate chlorine, but the unit is still powered "on". This would be due to wiring either the power center to the line side of a pump timer, or the Easytouch if you have one. When the pump is off, the red flow light comes on and indicates that no chlorine can produced.

2) "off" as in no power at all to the unit. This would be the case if the power supply was wired to the load side of the timer or easytouch relay.

I believe Poolclown is correct. When I had mine wired to the line side of the pump relay, a lot of morings i would go out and see the lights going through the "check salinity mode" for quite a while (never timed it). When the pump kicked on, the lights settled on green fairly quickly.

To be precise and in case it helps someone else in the future... the following is incorrect/inprecise: "..has the stand alone power center.." as I have neither option 1 or 2 as written. If the intent on the phrase "stand alone power" was meant to simply state a dedicated 240vac feed, then Yes.

More details:

I have no connection to pump power or "...line side of pump relay..." as both IntelliFlow VF and IntelliChlor receive 240v continuous power supply from a single/same source, double pole 240v 20amp breaker feed which is my house main supply from a 60amp 240v feed, separated into a 3-way (40,20,20amp breaker) panel on opposite side of house. Thus both are ON perpetually and the VF pump program control center determines flow and timing (built in module on top of pump body, seen in the original picture), although currently I run the pump nonstop, 24 hours/day at 95watts and about 850rpm.

So the IntelliChlor is NOT wired in any way to the IntelliFlow VF. In looking at the power connection, there is no "relay connection" on the outside power center of the VF. If I had an EasyTouch, then I could use the harness but have no plans to add anything else to system.

You actually do have a stand alone power supply. I used the term "stand alone" as opposed to an Easytouch automation box that has a built in transformer for the Intellichlor. The Intellichlor has to be connected to a transformer. You have a metal box that takes the 240 VAC from your main or subpanel and converts it thru the x-former. You cant plug the intellichlor into 240 VAC directly. Thats what i mean by a stand alone power supply.
The way you have it wired, its "on" all the time. While this isnt wrong, it does limit the life of the transformer somewhat. Moreover, most people do not run the pump 24/7, even with a VS pump. Most people have some sort of a timer to control the pump, therefore you would wire the power supply to either the line, or preferentially the load side. The way you system is wired is fine and it works, just relize it's not the norm.

bk406 said:
You actually do have a stand alone power supply. I used the term "stand alone" as opposed to an Easytouch automation box that has a built in transformer for the Intellichlor. The Intellichlor has to be connected to a transformer. You have a metal box that takes the 240 VAC from your main or subpanel and converts it thru the x-former. You cant plug the intellichlor into 240 VAC directly. Thats what i mean by a stand alone power supply.
The way you have it wired, its "on" all the time. While this isnt wrong, it does limit the life of the transformer somewhat. Moreover, most people do not run the pump 24/7, even with a VS pump. Most people have some sort of a timer to control the pump, therefore you would wire the power supply to either the line, or preferentially the load side. The way you system is wired is fine and it works, just relize it's not the norm.

Totally agree, I also have a power supply with my IC40 and mine is wired to my pool timer. My pump comes on, my IC40 comes on. The pump turns off the IC40 turns off. I don't think you would want the IC40 transformer wired direct to un-timed power, as bk406 stated it will probably reduce the overall life of the components.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
>Most people have some sort of a timer to control the pump, therefore you would wire the power supply to either the line, or preferentially the load side. The way you system is wired is fine and it works, just re(a)lize it's not the norm.

The reason I chose the IntelliFlow VF was due to the supreme programming capability, thus enabling me to move away from non-pump timers as the programming on the VF allows me far more features, flow control, On/Off control, RPM control and Watts/Amps control.

Reason I now run 24 hours / day is the fact that pool is new and it allows me for just pennies a day to circulate water while surface is curing.

The IntelliChlor system On/Off light for the IC40 Cell is on RED/OFF, even when the "dancing lights for salt detection" is taking place. Reason it's OFF is due (dual RED lights) to the low Flow sensor since I am running at about 11 to 12 GPM flowrate.

When I run a "normal program", it will be likely two 6 hour programs at 140 watts, 1300 RPM and as I've tested it over several days, the IntelliChlor detection comes quickly On/measures Salt and turns Off (since there is adequate Flow for the sensor).

> The pump turns off the IC40 turns off.

The IntelliFlow VF never turns OFF, even when it stops running, as the programming control module simply stops the flow or makes a change in the feature or changes speed, watts, RPM etc.

Even when no water is being pumped, the IntelliFlow VF is always ON.

susa said:
> The pump turns off the IC40 turns off.

The IntelliFlow VF never turns OFF, even when it stops running, as the programming control module simply stops the flow or makes a change in the feature or changes speed, watts, RPM etc.

Even when no water is being pumped, the IntelliFlow VF is always ON.

I think you misunderstood Carlos. His pump and SWG are on the same Timer hence cutting off power source to both the pump and SWG.

> His pump and SWG are on the same Timer hence cutting off power source to both the pump and SWG.

Yes, I understood that as that is the way a conventional timer-connected system works. The IntelliFlow VF not so much as it has it's own ....
ani.brain.gif

Going back to your original question "Why do the 2 top LED's flicker between Red and Green?". The IC40 when ON is measuring salt and since you have no flow the IC40 is just waiting for flow and flickers between Red and Green. So, it is by design. If you do not want to see the lights flickering you will have to wire the unit differently than you have it now. But since you like your VF programming capablity and will be leaving the pump and Intellichlor on a live circuit you are going to have to deal with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.