Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inline Leaf Canisters

1. Back To Top    #1

Inline Leaf Canisters

Anyone have any recommendation on inline leaf canisters?

Most of the big vendors have a standard and premium offering. Usually the standard have a plastic collector like a skimmer, and the premium ones have a filter "sock." I would primarily be looking to use this with a suction side POOLVERGNUEGEN cleaner.

Any feedback welcomed. Thanks in advance.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Inline Leaf Canisters

I have a zodiac leaf canister that I use with my Ranger auto pool cleaner or my manual vacuum. It is easy to access and change out when needed. If you get a lot of leaves I would recommend a larger leaf canister, because you will be emptying it often. From your description mine would be a "standard".
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    I have a zodiac leaf canister that I use with my Ranger auto pool cleaner or my manual vacuum. It is easy to access and change out when needed. If you get a lot of leaves I would recommend a larger leaf canister, because you will be emptying it often. From your description mine would be a "standard".
    I am hoping to get one for Christmas...I have a zodiac auto cleaner but didn't use it all last year because every other time I cleaned the pump resevoir out I broke a C Clip...got tired of that. So I just vacuumed and used knee highs in the skimmer basket to keep it all from entering the filter. From what I have read, you can actually to the same thing with the canister and put a nylon in there to get all the fine stuff out so it doesn't go through either.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 on the Zodiac leaf trap. I've had one for a couple of years with good results.

5. Back To Top    #5

My current set up doesn't allow me to keept he skimmer basket in place while I vacuum. Before the leaf canister I was emptying the pump basket every 5 minutes when I vacuumed. The cannister holds more leaves and acorns and they will compress pretty tight before the flow reduces. I have never tried a skimmer sock with it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Most brand of skimmers also have a "vaccuum plate", which the hose attaches to a plate that sits over the skimmer basket to perform the same function as a canister. The skimmer basket will hold about the same amount of debris as the "standard" canister, not as much as the larger size canister. I always preferred the canister.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger987
    Most brand of skimmers also have a "vaccuum plate", which the hose attaches to a plate that sits over the skimmer basket to perform the same function as a canister. The skimmer basket will hold about the same amount of debris as the "standard" canister, not as much as the larger size canister. I always preferred the canister.

My problem iwth using that vacuum plate is that lots of little stuff gets broken down and ends up in my pump basket or through the pump basket and well that just irritates me...I don't like having to open my pump basket as i said, I am always breaking the little C-clamps that hold the basket resevoir in place. Just not worth the hassle
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer