Major problem

Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
I recently noticed that my automatic fill was going on more than usual. I took a close look at the pool and found that the gunite / plaster has cracked. There are a couple of cracks that seem to join up. Total crack length approx, 20 feet. I wonder if I can get a smaller fiberglass pool and just set it in the existing pool and back fill around it.

Probably far cheaper to repair. There is a fiberglass product that can be installed on top of the existing pool structure, but it's not cheap. I don't recall the name of the product, but it's not a DIY project. I don't have personal experience with them, but you can google "fiberglass pool coatings" for some possibilities.

I have a guy coming tomorrow to give me an estimate. He said that he could epoxy the crack's. One concern he had was if the earth under the pool was eroded. If that was the case, they could inject something to fill the void. The pool is 1/2 empty now. :cry:

The light blue is copper sulfite staining, and the off white color is scale (you can also see it on your waterline tile). The plaster, depending on how old/stained you started with should get closer to white once you are done. That looks pretty old and stained though, so you may not get it as white as you would like. Be careful how much acid you use as well, as it will "eat" the softest material and leave your pool like sandpaper if you get too aggressive!

I was able to locate the source of the leak. It seems that a pipe for the infloor cleaning system has broken. Rather than break up the entire pool bottom to replace the broken pipes, I opted to plug the pop up heads. I have acid washed the pool and caulked the hair line cracks. The filling was completed yesterday and the pump is back in operation. So far - so good! :-D I'll be doing a complete battery of water tests today and adjusting as needed. The acid wash really helped to clean up the pool surface. It was long overdue!

Tests results:
CL 2
PH 7.6
CH 230
ALK 80
CYA 0
TEMP 59*

I'm using some pucks to bring CYA to 30, then I'll switch over to 10% liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.