Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Barracuda X7 Quattro problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Barracuda X7 Quattro problem

I bought a new Barracuda X7 Quattro recently and I'm wondering if anyone else here has the same problem, and maybe a fix. I set up the cleaner as per the manual, setting the suction meter at level 3 and put the hose weight 29" from the cleaner. The problem is that the cleaner spends most of it's time on the walls, and rarely visits the bottom of the deep end where most of the stuff accumulates. It also has a tendency to push debris away from itself as it advances rather than going over it and vacuuming it up. I tried reducing the suction to level 2 and even less, but it still spends the majority of it's time on the walls. Would adding another weight to the hose help keep it on the bottom?

Any help appreciated.
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Barracuda X7 Quattro problem

If you have the weight at 29" from the cleaner and you have tried reducing the flow to 2 or below, then I think that your next best bet would be to call their tech support line at 800-822-7933 and explain the problem to them. Assuming that this is a new cleaner, it may be under warranty.

3. Back To Top    #3

can you reduce the speed of the pump, lower GPM and flowrate ?

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't change the pump speed, but I've got a Jandy valve that I can use to adjust the flow rate on the suction line. I've tried using that to adjust it within the specs allowed by the meter that comes with the cleaner and it still spends most of the time on the walls. I think i'm going to call them on Monday as suggested by the previous poster.
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

yes, i have had a few problems with X7's doing the same thing, it means the cleaner is sucking to hard so reduce the setting on the valve in the skimmer box to 1.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.