Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In colder climates, do you disconnect IntelliChlor unit?

1. Back To Top    #1

In colder climates, do you disconnect IntelliChlor unit?

While my system is still in "circulate water only(no salt in pool yet..)"-mode, was curious to know if IntelliChlor owners in colder climates with open pool year-round, disconnect or power down their units?

Since the unit measurement system is impacted by cold water/ambient temp, is there any advantage/disadvantage in tinkering with power or just leave it be? In my case, the IntelliChlor Power Center (transformer) is on separate breaker so I can just flip the switch Off.

Temperature currently 12 C in S.Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: In colder climates, do you disconnect IntelliChlor unit?

All that is needed to turn off the Intellichlor, is to lower the percentage to zero. There is no need to unplug or disconnect the unit. The unit will also turn itself off when the water temp drops below a certain temp, i believe it's somewhere in the low 50's.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

3. Back To Top    #3

the lowest percentage on the IC40 Cell is 20%, unless I am missing something as I have no other controller or automation control for the IntelliChlor.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you keep pushing the less button, the unit goes to zero% (the 20%-100% lights are not lit). If you had a control box (i.e. Easytouch, you can control the output in 1% increments.

Do you have a manual that came with it?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Won't the Power Center still consume a vampire load on the circuit? ie. for a non-producing system, during winter, is there some harm from turning off the transformer circuit?

As to the 20%, yes, I see what you mean, for some reason I had left mine on 20% but of course the NoSalt/LowSalt LED was RED, indicating (correctly) the IC40 Cell was Off. I pressed it couple more times and the 20% LED turned off.

And yes to manual, in fact my sigline links you directly to each product and the PDF download(s) and yes, I've read them a "few times", still learning..

6. Back To Top    #6

Just turn the power center off, (flip the breaker).
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Problem is, a lot of times, the power center is wired to the filter pump. Does the transformer really use that much power when off?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Problem is, a lot of times, the power center is wired to the filter pump. Does the transformer really use that much power when off?
    Thats very true. But, Susa said the transformer was on it's own breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by susa
    In my case, the IntelliChlor Power Center (transformer) is on separate breaker so I can just flip the switch Off.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have been told to just unplug the SWG from the power center. Then there is nothing attached to draw power.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by benavidescj
    I have been told to just unplug the SWG from the power center. Then there is nothing attached to draw power.
    If you do that, just make sure to turn off the power center 1st before unplugging the SWCG.