Liquidator Overflow

surgdog

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2010
Madison, MS
I haven;t seen this problem mentioned on the forum and would like your thoughts.

I have had my Liquidator installed for 2-3 weeks without much problem.

Came home today to a low pool level and found the Liquidator overflowing. I assume the inflow float was stuck. I jiggled it and it seems to be working now. I didn't see any debris in it.

Anyone else had this problem? And is there something I can do to avoid it in the future?

Thanks.

There's been a couple of reports of the LQ overflowing but it's rare. It must have been overflowing for quite some time to lower the level in the pool enough to be noticeable.

Not much you can do about it unless you want to add a solenoid to shut the water off when the pump stops.

Take a look at the clear tubing; do you see any white residue on it? How about on the floats themselves?

I don't see why run time should have any effect, and you are not below grade. While mine has never overflowed, I have had flow issues if I don't watch my pH and white stuff (WS) accumulates. My guess is that you have some WS that is impeding flow.

Yes, I have WS but it is mainly in the "out" side.

I have a fairly small pool so I am running my flow around 1 or so and still keeping FC at 7. As I understand the way the LQ works it should not matter how slow the flow is. If the water level gets too high then the "in" float should stop the "In" flow. Correct?

After I "jiggled" (very similar to jiggling a running toilet) it has maintained correct levels overnight. I will keep a close eye on it.

Also, a question this raises is do any of y'all ever stop your LQ and if so, how? Looks like you could just clamp the in line with something. Being a doctor I think of a hemostat or some other instrument like that. I am curious how y'all do it.

Thanks.

You're right about the "IN" float maintaining the level in the LQ. If the level gets high the float closes and stops the flow into the LQ. The "OUT" float is to prevent the pump from sucking air and losing prime if the level in the LQ were to get low.

It sounds like something was trapped in the float valve preventing it from sealing off completely. Jiggling it probably dislodged it and you won't have a problem again.

The only time I stop mine is when it's being cleaned (and that was only once last year) and I use a pair of smooth jawed vise grips to pinch the tubing. Forceps would work but the serrations may damage the tubing unless you use smooth jawed ones or wrap the jaws in tape or something to make them smooth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
surgdog said:
Yes, I have WS but it is mainly in the "out" side.

I would suspect high pH. Like Bama said, you probably dislodged it with the jiggling, but if you do have high pH and let it continue to stay high, chances are it will happen again. I like to keep my pH around 7.4 and I have had no issues since.

Bruce,

I checked when I got home and pH looks around 7.8 with a TA of 90. I added some muriatic acid based on that to try to get to 7.4 as you suggested.

Still running a FC of around 6-7 even with LQ at 1 or a little higher. WIll cut it back a bit.

Surprisingly my CH doesn't register. It was 350 last I checked. Wonder if the reagent has gone south.

LQ seems to be running at correct water levels. Will keep watching.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.