Plumbing on Output side of Pump

I vaguely remember seeing a recommendation that on the outlet side of the pool pump (mine is a 1 1/2 HP Pentair Challenger) that at least an 18" straight piece of cast iron pipe be installed before a union before continueing on to other plumbing. I have developed a leak at the outlet of the pump where it connects to the 2" PVC. Should I add this piece of cast iron pipe or simply try to fix the leak using teflon tape or Magic lube? It sounds like Permatex is better but I doubt if I could find it here in Mexico.

I can think of no reason to use cast iron. Virtually every pump in the US is installed using only PVC. The 18" of straight pipe is not necessary either, unless you have some equipment it might affect like a flow meter, etc.

I agree with duraleigh that cast iron is definitely NOT a good idea. You want to keep metal out of the water path whenever possible. Most pump mfgrs recommend 4x pipe diameter on inlet side & outlet side of each piece of equipment, but sometimes it's not possible. The straight pipe helps reduce turbulence as the water enters/exits the pump for best hydraulic efficiency. The pump should work well without it, but if you have room, it can help. You'll have to remake the threads going into the pump to fix the leak. Teflon tape or GE silicone will probably work well. Liquid Permatex works well also, if you can find it. Magiclube is not a thread sealant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.