new guy and owner.

Dec 1, 2010
Hi folks, I bought a new hotspot spa. It comes with an ozonator. It isn't installed yet and i'm wondering after joining here and reading if I need 1. I will be using the chlorine method explained on your site. thank you.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The short answer is that an ozonator is not really needed, but it can be helpful when the bather load is higher.

An ozonator is most useful in a spa when you (and possibly others) are using the spa every day or two. With this sort of high bather load the ozonator can oxidize some of the bather waste (mostly ammonia and urea from your sweat and urine) with the result of lower chlorine demand (daily chlorine usage), usually cut roughly in half.

However, if you only use the spa on occasion, such as once a week, then an ozonator will often increase the chlorine demand since the ozone can oxidize chlorine to chlorate and possibly force more outgassing of chlorine as well. With this low bather-load, the chlorine demand can double.

If the ozonator is easy to turn off by disconnecting it, then you could try it installed at first and then see if you like it and turn it off if you don't or try it both ways and see which you prefer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.