Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new guy and owner.

1. Back To Top    #1

new guy and owner.

Hi folks, I bought a new hotspot spa. It comes with an ozonator. It isn't installed yet and i'm wondering after joining here and reading if I need 1. I will be using the chlorine method explained on your site. thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: new guy and owner.

An Ozone generator can be useful on a spa. If you've already paid for it you might as well get the good out of it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Welcome to TFP!

The short answer is that an ozonator is not really needed, but it can be helpful when the bather load is higher.

An ozonator is most useful in a spa when you (and possibly others) are using the spa every day or two. With this sort of high bather load the ozonator can oxidize some of the bather waste (mostly ammonia and urea from your sweat and urine) with the result of lower chlorine demand (daily chlorine usage), usually cut roughly in half.

However, if you only use the spa on occasion, such as once a week, then an ozonator will often increase the chlorine demand since the ozone can oxidize chlorine to chlorate and possibly force more outgassing of chlorine as well. With this low bather-load, the chlorine demand can double.

If the ozonator is easy to turn off by disconnecting it, then you could try it installed at first and then see if you like it and turn it off if you don't or try it both ways and see which you prefer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you..It isn't installed yet but I will ask if I can disconnect it.