Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Testing

Wondering about this which I came across at work today. Hopefully someone can tell me if this would work for testing my pool or not.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/pH/ ... _8682.html
    Kurt R
    35900 gal. 20x40 Inground, Vinyl Liner with Deep End in the Middle, Roman Stairs on Both Ends
    Sta Rite Sys 3, Hayward 1.5 Super Pump, Aqua Heat Heat Pump, Paramount in Floor, BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH Testing

You'd need to get the 8682 at $75 to have something that is at least as accurate as the phenol red test (actually more accurate, according to their specs). The 8680 at +/- 0.3 is not good enough while the 8681 +/- 0.2 is marginal -- usually you can figure out the pH from the phenol red test to within +/- 0.1 with its in-between readings on the K-2006 (every 0.2 pH units). You'll need to do calibration periodically using the buffer solutions (probably the 7 and 10 since the pH will usually be above 7). This ain't cheap, but if you want something with a digital display, it seems OK.

There's also the Hach Pocket Pal pH tester with an accuracy of +/- 0.1 pH units and a cost of around $57.

However, if you are just testing pool water, you don't need a wide-range tester and could instead use something like the LaMotte ColorQ though that does a lot more than pH and costs more as well.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Most of the folks on here will use and advocate for the use of drop-based tests over electronic testers. They are cheap, easy to use, don't ever need calibrating, and give results that are easy to confirm if need be.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ditto, plus all you are truly in need of is to ensure you're water is in the 7.2-7.8 range. I just make sure that if the Phenol Red test is closer to 7.8 I add some acid to bring it down to around 7.4 or so
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone for the replies, sometimes it seems that I have trouble reading the color test. I had a trouble free pool all season so I guess why fix what isn't broken
    Kurt R
    35900 gal. 20x40 Inground, Vinyl Liner with Deep End in the Middle, Roman Stairs on Both Ends
    Sta Rite Sys 3, Hayward 1.5 Super Pump, Aqua Heat Heat Pump, Paramount in Floor, BBB