Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball valve to slow down flow rate of spa spillover

1. Back To Top    #1

Ball valve to slow down flow rate of spa spillover

I have a 1hp Tristar pump for circulation.
    It produces a waterfall from my spa that is a bit too much - I would prefer a more gentle cascade.

I was thinking of plumbing in a ball valve in the spa return so that I can restrict the flow.

Will this cause any problems anywhere? I'm particularly concerned about the pump.

Thank you!
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ball valve to slow down flow rate of spa spillover

I don't know how your plumbing is done, but it seems to me you should just be able to send more water to the pool returns to accomplish that. Do you have a 3-way valve to select spa or pool returns?

Throttling pump output is probably not the way you want to go. Far better to just send the extra water through the pool returns.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

John is correct. You need to "relocate" the water via a valve, not constrict the flow and put back pressure on the pump to diminish the flow at the waterfall. A ball valve would only cause a water "back up" and unwanted pressure for the pump. The three way valve, allowing some water to the spa and the rest to the pool is the correct application.

4. Back To Top    #4

I understand what you are saying and that makes sense.

My valves are only two way I suppose - there are two valves, one that controls flow to the spa returns, and one that controls flow to the pool returns. They are controlled electronically by my automation system, so it seems like they are either ON or OFF.

If there was a way to make them not turn fully when I put it in spillover mode, that would be perfect, but will these solenoid controlled valves
    operate like that? Is there a setting to make them open half way? They are Jandy valves with Goldline controllers.

Thank you!
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

5. Back To Top    #5

If you could post up a couple pictures that would help!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pictured below is the valve that controls where the water is being returned.
    When it is pointed to the right, as in the picture, the water is returned to the pool.
    When it is pointed to the left, the water is returned to the spa (which will give me the spillover when drawing from the pool).

This return valve is controlled by the automation system -it is a 24 volt solenoid controller sitting right on top of the valve.

This electronic control makes the valve either point all the way to the left or all the way to the right.

It sounds like what I need is for it to stop half-way when in spillover mode.

I still want it to swing all the way left however when in spa mode.

So there are 3 settings:
    1) pool setting - valve is all the way right
    2) spa setting - valve is all the way left
    3) spillover - valve is halfway

Is this what you guys mean by a "3-way valve"?

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmm, interesting, no spa bypass?? So in the pool mode, water in spa doesn't filter?? Maybe, that's all he needs is a spa bypass and another three way????

8. Back To Top    #8

That is correct. In fact I have to periodically run the spillover to sanitize the water.

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to install a spa bypass with one more three way valve. On the pool return side, at the "elbow" replace this with a three way valve(non-auto type) add pipe so you bypass the existing auto three way valve above it and connect with a "T" fitting where the elbow is at the spa return. Then you can adjust flow manually with the new three way and always leave it in the pool mode. Only in spa mode when you use the spa. You might need to add another check valve in the "bypass" so your checked to the spa.

I think that is right.

Hope that helps

10. Back To Top    #10

Here's a drawing...
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Sal - this is hurting my head right now - I'm going to have to take your picture and go stare at my setup outside.

Thanks everyone for the quick and informative responses!

12. Back To Top    #12

You could also just set the cam in the actuator so that it does not completely close off the spa when in pool mode. In addition, you have the ability to set the cam stop for the desired flow.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

Mark,

I thought about that to, but if wants to change his flow for spill, then he has to play with the cams in instead of just adjusting a three way

14. Back To Top    #14

True but I was assuming that once the desired spillover look was achieved, then there would be no need to change it again. Plus it saves replumbing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

15. Back To Top    #15

I wish I could be satisfied with my spillover, I am always adjusting it

16. Back To Top    #16

Mark - your suggestion sounds like a runner.
    So there is a cam inside the valve actuator that acts as a stop?
    I'll do some googling, but if you have any tips on accessing it and setting it I'd be much obliged.

Thanks!

Slade

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

The owner's manual for the GVA-24 acutator you have is here. It gives you instructions for accessing & setting the cams. Keep in mind that your spillover will vary with the overall flow rate of your pump, so when the filter gets dirty or baskets get full of leaves/debris, the spillover will be reduced.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.

18. Back To Top    #18

I was thinking about this more and do not believe setting the cam stop will solve my problem.

I actually need three settings:
    pool - suction from pool and 100% return to pool
    spa - suction from spa and 100% return to spa - my heater is set to come on when I put it in spa mode
    spillover - suction from pool and 50% return to spa/50%return to pool - this will allow me to get a gentler cascade for a waterfall

It sounds like if I reset the cam to a new position, then I will get a nice spillover, but when I go to spa mode it will actually drain the spa (suck from spa, return to pool/spa).

Am I misunderstanding something?

Slade

19. Back To Top    #19

You want it on the return side, not on the suction side.

20. Back To Top    #20

Would it help if I took a picture of my setup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast