chew hooves...yea or nay?

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
We just picked up a little papillon puppy this weekend, and included in the "puppy package" the breeder gave us was a chew hoof. The breeder says she gives them to all of her dogs, but I have read some disturbing things about them.

How bout you dog owners out there, what say you?

Beez

Chew hooves are 100% protein, which makes them fully digestible. However, if your pup is a real chewer, then the hooves could splinter. Only give your dog chew hooves when you can supervise them.

My Labs favorite treat is Pig Ears. :whoot:

Pig ears are all natural pork, processed without preservatives, artificial coloring or flavoring. They're 100% digestible, and easier to digest than rawhide. They are high in fat (which helps keep skin and coat healthy) and high in protein (essential for healthy muscle tone). They are high in calories so my Lab only gets one or two a week. :)
They are more expensive than rawhide treats. :cry:

Southerner #1 - Man, that's a good-looking bird dog you've got there....what do you feed him?

Southerner #2 - Collards

Southerner #1 - Collards!! Wow, I never knew a dog would eat collards!

Southerner #2 - He wouldn't for the first 40 days.

(Okay, I admit to being a dog lover and my little Molly eats like a queen but the joke is still funny.....too much time on my hands, I really do need a winter hobby)

Thanks for the responses everyone, and I enjoyed the joke Dave!

After reading several articles on the web, I think I will forgo the hooves for my little Chihuahua mix. The hard part will be taking it away from him though...he loves it!

As for the Pap, that will be someone else's decision. :wink: Her new mama has strong opinions...
And I must admit that I have reservations second guessing the breeder. She really knows her stuff raising them, and she uses them.

I'm mainly taking the hoof away from the Chi because he chews off pieces and eats them. He almost choked the other night! But then again, maybe it is because the hoof I bought for the Chi is quite different from the one the breeder supplied. The breeder's hoof is very dark, and is considerably thicker and harder, while the one that I bought for the Chi is much thinner and looks more like standard rawhide. Looks much more processed.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

Beez, PICTURES, man- PICTURES!!! :hammer: (you know how this forum is about pics :cool: )

I've had bad results with pig ears and hooves :( However, my current and last dog are pit-bull mixes and have/ had allergies :evil: we spend a little more to get salmon or venison based food that has no chicken, pork nor beef :angel: (and still have to put Benydril in the food, on and off, to keep the allergies at bay )

Long and short of this is to love your new family member and don't give him anything that might harm him (and post pictures! :hammer: - so my wife will stop looking over my shoulder trying to see your new "baby" :mrgreen: )

ps - hope your DE filter hasn't blown up on you... yet :lol:

waste said:
Beez, PICTURES, man- PICTURES!!! :hammer: (you know how this forum is about pics :cool: )
OK, you asked for it!

Both dogs are new to us, so I'll attach a pic of my Chihuahua mix as well. I adopted him as a rescue dog from a local organization this past Friday. They think he is 2-3 years old.[attachment=0:uydn1lbx]puppy for web.jpg[/attachment:uydn1lbx]

The Pap is only a little over 4 months old so she is in her gangly, scraggly, "teenage" years. Her fur won't really fill out for quite some time, so keep that in mind.[attachment=2:uydn1lbx]Asia18wks1.jpg[/attachment:uydn1lbx][attachment=1:uydn1lbx]Asia18wks2.jpg[/attachment:uydn1lbx]

BTW, the filter is fine! :mrgreen: Thanks for asking Ted! :wink:

Attachments

• Asia18wks1.jpg
    Asia18wks1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Asia18wks2.jpg
    Asia18wks2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 126
  • puppy for web.jpg
    puppy for web.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 126

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Molly helps with the Thanksgiving clean-up.

Yeah, Yeah, I know about dogs and "people" food. Please tell that to Molly and send her your address.....she will be there soon to bite you on the ankles. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSC00111.JPG
    DSC00111.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 105
duraleigh said:
Molly helps with the Thanksgiving clean-up.

Yeah, Yeah, I know about dogs and "people" food. Please tell that to Molly and send her your address.....she will be there soon to bite you on the ankles. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's clean enough to put away! :mrgreen:

My girls get venison straight from the bone before rifle season ends! :mrgreen: They make processing so much easier...

Ava, my boxer, goes wild for antlers!

Casey said:
My girls get venison straight from the bone before rifle season ends! :mrgreen: They make processing so much easier...
If I could get chew treats like that I wouldn't be wondering about the dried up processed hooves... :wink: Those bones must be great for their teeth.

They have never once harmed another creature waste! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.