Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chew hooves...yea or nay?

1. Back To Top    #1

chew hooves...yea or nay?

We just picked up a little papillon puppy this weekend, and included in the "puppy package" the breeder gave us was a chew hoof. The breeder says she gives them to all of her dogs, but I have read some disturbing things about them.

How bout you dog owners out there, what say you?
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chew hooves...yea or nay?

Beez

Chew hooves are 100% protein, which makes them fully digestible. However, if your pup is a real chewer, then the hooves could splinter. Only give your dog chew hooves when you can supervise them.

My Labs favorite treat is Pig Ears.

Pig ears are all natural pork, processed without preservatives, artificial coloring or flavoring. They're 100% digestible, and easier to digest than rawhide. They are high in fat (which helps keep skin and coat healthy) and high in protein (essential for healthy muscle tone). They are high in calories so my Lab only gets one or two a week.
    They are more expensive than rawhide treats.
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

3. Back To Top    #3

Our golden gets Merrick bull sticks and ranger ribs
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Southerner #1 - Man, that's a good-looking bird dog you've got there....what do you feed him?

Southerner #2 - Collards

Southerner #1 - Collards!! Wow, I never knew a dog would eat collards!

Southerner #2 - He wouldn't for the first 40 days.

(Okay, I admit to being a dog lover and my little Molly eats like a queen but the joke is still funny.....too much time on my hands, I really do need a winter hobby)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Papillons are such little dogs. I would not be comfortable giving them something that could splinter like that.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses everyone, and I enjoyed the joke Dave!

After reading several articles on the web, I think I will forgo the hooves for my little Chihuahua mix. The hard part will be taking it away from him though...he loves it!

As for the Pap, that will be someone else's decision. Her new mama has strong opinions...
    And I must admit that I have reservations second guessing the breeder. She really knows her stuff raising them, and she uses them.

I'm mainly taking the hoof away from the Chi because he chews off pieces and eats them. He almost choked the other night! But then again, maybe it is because the hoof I bought for the Chi is quite different from the one the breeder supplied. The breeder's hoof is very dark, and is considerably thicker and harder, while the one that I bought for the Chi is much thinner and looks more like standard rawhide. Looks much more processed.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Beez, PICTURES, man- PICTURES!!! (you know how this forum is about pics )

I've had bad results with pig ears and hooves However, my current and last dog are pit-bull mixes and have/ had allergies we spend a little more to get salmon or venison based food that has no chicken, pork nor beef (and still have to put Benydril in the food, on and off, to keep the allergies at bay )

Long and short of this is to love your new family member and don't give him anything that might harm him (and post pictures! - so my wife will stop looking over my shoulder trying to see your new "baby" )

ps - hope your DE filter hasn't blown up on you... yet
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I give my Havanese pigs ears.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

I give my yorkie collards.

But, only maybe a teaspoon every month or so.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Beez, PICTURES, man- PICTURES!!! (you know how this forum is about pics )
    OK, you asked for it!

Both dogs are new to us, so I'll attach a pic of my Chihuahua mix as well. I adopted him as a rescue dog from a local organization this past Friday. They think he is 2-3 years old.[attachment=0:uydn1lbx]puppy for web.jpg[/attachment:uydn1lbx]

The Pap is only a little over 4 months old so she is in her gangly, scraggly, "teenage" years. Her fur won't really fill out for quite some time, so keep that in mind.[attachment=2:uydn1lbx]Asia18wks1.jpg[/attachment:uydn1lbx][attachment=1:uydn1lbx]Asia18wks2.jpg[/attachment:uydn1lbx]

BTW, the filter is fine! Thanks for asking Ted!
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Sweet looking pets. Congrats. Those dogs are lucky dogs.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Molly helps with the Thanksgiving clean-up.

Yeah, Yeah, I know about dogs and "people" food. Please tell that to Molly and send her your address.....she will be there soon to bite you on the ankles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Dora
    Sweet looking pets. Congrats. Those dogs are lucky dogs.
    Thanks, Dora. The little Chihuhua is lucky indeed, he has had a hard life until now. But he is soaking up the love like a sponge, and getting better every day!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Molly helps with the Thanksgiving clean-up.

Yeah, Yeah, I know about dogs and "people" food. Please tell that to Molly and send her your address.....she will be there soon to bite you on the ankles.
    That's clean enough to put away!

My girls get venison straight from the bone before rifle season ends! They make processing so much easier...

Ava, my boxer, goes wild for antlers!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    My girls get venison straight from the bone before rifle season ends! They make processing so much easier...
    If I could get chew treats like that I wouldn't be wondering about the dried up processed hooves... Those bones must be great for their teeth.

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi Casey

Reduce, reuse, recycle and waste not, want not :P

Just wondering if the dogs don't 'get the taste for fresh meat' and become more aggressive?

Either way, I'm glad to see you here and hope all is well with you
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

17. Back To Top    #17

They have never once harmed another creature waste!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter