Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 ft crack in bottom of Hayward S-240 (parts or replacement)

1. Back To Top    #1

2 ft crack in bottom of Hayward S-240 (parts or replacement)

We went on a 7 day trip and did not think to shut off the pump. Apparently the base of my 1992 Hayward S-240 (SX240AA1) developed a 2 ft crack and dumped the entire load of sand in the pool shed! As far as I can tell there is no easy replacement part for under $350 and I think they are now discontinued. Any ideas? Is there a new filter with the same connections so I do not have to replace the master valve, or does anyone have one that has a top leak and kept the bottom? Just looking for options.

Parts manual
    http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/replace_ ... ay2009.pdf

Thanks in advance
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 2 ft crack in bottom of Hayward S-240 (parts or replacement)

Welcome to the forum

It sounds like a new filter is your best bet. Virtually any filter should have the same connections for the multi-port valve although you may have to modify the plumbing to get the the intake and exit pipes to align. Most websites will give height above the ground for the connections so you should be able to find something very close or perhaps not modify anything at all.

Trying to salvage a cracked filter is pretty much a lost cause.....sorry, but it sounds like a new one is in your future.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You can replace the entire filter for less than the cost to repair a damaged tank.

Take a look at the Hayward pro series sand filter S244S. It will include a new 6 way valve.

When shopping on-line, be sure to compare the total cost including truck freight for the filter.
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks a bunch, I settled on a little overkill with the S270T2. My pool was run with 2" and well I thought I could smooth out some pressure. I see a little artistic pipe work in my future.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You will never regret going with a larger filter. Your entire system will benefit and you will benefit by not having to backwash as much.....good choice.

Not that it matters, but the pump should not have been capable of cracking your filter.....it cannot produce enough pressure. Did you speak with Hayward?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School