Need to increase TA & CH during rainy season?

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Hi everyone,

I need help in determining if I should do something about the TA and CH in my pool. Here are the test results:

PH - 7.8
FC – 17
TA - 70
CH - 240
CYA – 40
CC – 0.5
Water temp – 50 degrees

FC went up substantially since I have been using a few trichlor tablets while we were away for a few days when the temperature was still in the 70’s. The weather changed drastically during that time. It went down to the low 30’s at night and 50’s during the day. It has been raining quite a bit too so CH decreased from around 330. Based on the pool calculator, the CSI for the above test results is -0.21. Do I need to be concerned about that? Thanks.

You are ok at -0.21. In fact, you don't really have much corrosion potential until you get to a CSI of -0.6. Keeping it a little bit on the negative side is ideal anyway. Like duraleigh mentioned, just watch your pH as this is the most easily adjusted of the values pertaining to CSI.

Great, I will keep an eye on the pH. It kept increasing in the summer. I am hoping by using some trichlor tablets, the pH will stabilize a little. The water is crystal clear just as it was in the summer since I took over maintaining the pool chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.