DIY Questions

Oct 18, 2010
Fannett Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Well I am giving up! I received my last quote to do the tile, coping, and resurface. That builder I had high hopes for. He even assured me for the price of one quote I received, he could build me a whole new pool. But he came in just under that quote with pepple tech.

I just don't get it! I am almost to the point of demolishing the pool and filling it in!

Anyway, I thought, what if I did some of the demo work myself? Maybe this would bring the price within our budget to get everything we want and Pebble Tech.

So of you all that are builders, previous DIYer's, and other... Is my thought worth while to do? And what steps would I have to do to make sure the pool is ready for the builder to tile, cope, and slap on Pebble Tech?

Thanks so much!

I feel your pain... I too wanted to fill-it-in... Dont give in if you want a pool!! I'm a DIYer at heart and pay cash so i 'feel' every part of the project.

The question I have for you is how much money are you trying to cut back on?
I just did exactly what you are facing - its a fine balance...

Resurface. I hear PT is an expensive surface - is this PT surface 'make or break'?
Do you need work done to the shell? Holes, rebar, chips, add water features etc?
Tile. Direct replacement? Easy with the correct tile and thinset. I WISH I would have done this part myself - live and learn
Coping. What style are you looking to install?

cyclrcr said:
Well I am giving up! I received my last quote to do the tile, coping, and resurface. That builder I had high hopes for. He even assured me for the price of one quote I received, he could build me a whole new pool. But he came in just under that quote with pepple tech.

I just don't get it! I am almost to the point of demolishing the pool and filling it in!

Anyway, I thought, what if I did some of the demo work myself? Maybe this would bring the price within our budget to get everything we want and Pebble Tech.

So of you all that are builders, previous DIYer's, and other... Is my thought worth while to do? And what steps would I have to do to make sure the pool is ready for the builder to tile, cope, and slap on Pebble Tech?

Thanks so much!

It's been a long (!) time since I've rehabed pools the way you want to.

I think you might be best off just doing the 'demo' part. Removing the coping and tile and 'sounding' and notching the plaster should be an easy enough DIY project. You'll probably want to rent a compressor and a pneumatic chisel for the coping and tile removal and want to have a cold chisel and hammer for the fine work.

The PB you're dealing with probably already has all the equipment needed that you'd need to buy or rent :| Take the cost of what you'll need to procure into account when figuring how much you'll save :wink:

What I'd do is talk to the PB and see how much $ he'll knock off for some prep work and make sure you know exactly what he needs done to come in and apply the coping, tile and pebble-tech.

I, and others here, can advise on the 'how to's', but he'll start charging for anything that his crew needs to do to get the pool ready for the rehab!

If you want to install the new coping and tile, we can give you some tips and pointers :) But I want to stress again! that what you do HAS TO BE compatible with what the PB's crew is going to do :hammer:

Please keep us posted and we'll do our best to get you a 'new pool' that you can afford :goodjob:

As a DIY'er (me) I found it best to do the small stuff myself and get the experts to do the big stull,like finish. Try and get the info on what has to be done from the manufacturer. They will tell you exactly how to go about prep work for your particular pool. One PB even suggested I do some of the work. It will work out, just focus on the finished pool and not the problem at hand and a solution will turn up.
cheers

Thank you all for the confidence boost! I think I will look into doing things myself... at least some of the prep work.

PT is not make or break because unfortunately life is interfearing and we may have to dip into the money needed, so plain plaster may not be an option if the PB does all the work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.