bcool

bcool

Nov 29, 2010
Fort Erie, ON
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the Fort Erie, Ontario area and we installed a 19x35 Grecian-style in-ground pool this summer. Construction started in June and we were able to start swimming in late July. Luckily, we had a warm summer and managed to have water temperatures in the 75-80°F range until September. Rather than using a gas pool heater, we opted to go with a shell & tube heat exchanger with hot water provided by our outdoor wood furnace (also installed this year). I was heating until November 6 and manage to achieve around 75°F but this took a lot of wood. With the air being so cold, we only managed to swim one last time in November so I think we'll be closing the pool earlier next year.

Because our backyard sloped away from the house, we still have a lot of landscaping to do yet. The excavated soil still surrounds the pool but we've already used up a good part of it with landscaping. With luck, it'll all be gone by next summer.

The piping installed by the contractor is a bit ugly so I will be redoing it - maybe even within the next few weeks if the weather holds. I have some questions about valves and fittings and I'll post some topics in the Pumping Station shortly.

Frank

Attachments

• 100729-Fill.JPG
    100729-Fill.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 80
Thanks! The water looks a bit green because we used filtered (5 Micron) pond water to fill it. Even with our pond pump running steady, it was still taking a long time to fill so we trucked in some city water. The big hose you see in the photo is from the truck. The garden hose (beside the big hose) had been running for nearly a day and you can see that we still had a long way to go. Chlorinating the water made it crystal clear.