stuff on INSIDE of cartridge filter??

Westovers

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2009
Austin, Texas
After thoroughly cleaning my cartridges as per instructions here, I'm seeing some dark stuff INSIDE (on the other side of the "paper") of my otherwise white cartridge filters. If I spray it directly from the outside, it will usually shift downward (as whole small "pieces") in the pleats. What is this? Is it harmless to put my cartridges back in to the filter with this stuff?

If you're seeing the debris accumulate on the inside of the cartridges, rather than on the outside - the filter is plumbed backwards. You should always see a greater accumulation on the outside of the cartridges. The normal water flow introduces the water on the outside of the cartridges, so it passes thru the fabric to the inside then back to your pool. It's possible you're seeing some algae accumulation, but you should definitely see a greater accumulation of the same stuff on the outside. Check the owner's manual for the filter to see which is the inlet port. The pipe that comes out of the top of the pump should go directly to the filter port labeled INLET.

No, it is not plumbed incorrectly--there was definitely more stuff on the outside. But like I said, AFTER cleaning the outsides thoroughly I can see some dark stuff on the inside. It does move/shift if sprayed/agitated. Any ideas what that might be and what I should or should not do? Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.