pH and CYA

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Recently bought a house with a pool and have been immersed into BBB. So far, clear pool!

Been lurking to this point, but I do want some feedback. I know... first, some numbers (off the top of my head since I don't know what I did with the Post-it!):

FC: 5
TA: 90
CH: 200

pH: 7.8

CYA: 60

My two questions:

(1) pH just seems to always want to go to 7.8. At first, I was adding MA to bring it down to 7.4-7.6, but lately I've just left it there. I do have aeration from the waterfall (spa to pool). From the comments I have seen here on TFP, I have pretty much decided not to fight it - as long as it does not creep up to 8. Am I on the right track?

(2) The CYA has crept up from 50 to 60 over the past month. Though we did have pretty heavy rains for October (which should have diluted), nothing major has fallen in November. Can it just be from evaporation? Or just misreading test? Guess at some point (70? 80?), I'll have to empty out and fill with regular water - or wait till rainy season comes back in May.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP Prav :wave:

Re: your CYA question, it is possible to mis-read the test by 10ppm, but I should ask, what is your current method of chlorination?

On the PH. you are fine at 7.8, just keep a watchful eye on it. You may benefit by adding borates and lowering TA further to the 60-70 range, but if it's stable at 7.8, I wouldn't fight it given your CH is not that high.

Not using pucks (learned about those evils here by reading the forum). Did a bit of cal-hypo when I inherited the pool since the CH was really low (<100 if I recall correctly), but then switched to Clorox 6% (easier to get since BJ's is open till later than pool store and don't have to worry about returning empties). Down the road, may get something more automated (SWG? Chlorinator?), but need to ease up on the major expenses for a bit!

Not to hijack my own thread, but let me add another question: any issue with adding chlorine (though not enough to shock) in one shot and let it be used up rather than every other day (as I have been doing)? It would seem that as long as I am above the minimum for my CYA level, I should be fine with going to 9-10 and letting it get down to 5 before adding, right?

Thanks!

Very good...shouldn't be a problem at all, just keep testing frequently to make sure you do not fall below 5ppm. Keeping it in a tighter range is better, but going up to 9-10ppm with CYA at 60 should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.