question on ph balance for winterized pool

mucoy

Sep 27, 2010
Urbana, MD
Hi all. Newbie here with first post. We just closed our new pool for the winter. I had assumed that the closing company would test the water and add acid to the pool to balance the ph before closing and they did not. I had tested yesterday and ph was somewhere between 7.8 and 8.0 with TA of 80 and since I had run out of MA and assumed the closing company would take care of it I left it be. The pool was completed at the end of September and I have noticed the past month and half that I need to add a quart of Muratic Acid every few days to keep the ph down to 7.4-7.6 range. I'm told this isn't uncommon for newly plastered pools. The closing service added 2 quarts of scale inhibitor and polyquat. Is there anything I should do to keep the ph lowered through the winter, or should I just let it ride until spring? I don't want to damage my new plaster due to high ph all winter but I don't want to fret unnecessarily either.

Thoughts?

I'm replying mainly to bump this... first thing is to call your builder and see what they say. I know enough to say that colder temps will increase the pH all by itself, as well as probably slow down the plaster curing process; I don't know what practical effect that will have on the plaster over the winter. But with the pool closed at least you won't have to worry about equipment issues until you open in the spring.
--paulr

I am curious in general what chemicals should be added to a winterized pool - Chlorine? pH adjusters? How often? With no movement of the water, is this proper to dump it into still water where it will concenrate without circulation? I wouldn't even be able to mix with a brush since the cover is on.

Thanks.

Generally once a pool is closed, it's closed. The idea is to balance the water (i.e. TA, pH, CYA, CH), raise the chlorine to shock level, blow the lines out and cover. Once that cover goes on, you really dont mess with it. Adding chemicals to uncirculated water is generally not a good idea. If you were desparate, I suppose you could remove the cover and stir in chlorine with a brush, but thats a big pain. I wouldnt want to mix acid thay way. As I said, once the cover goes on, you let it ride until spring. The thought of letting a pool go over the winter is really tough the fisrt time you do it. You spend the entire swim season testing, adjusting, babying the thing until its just the way you want it. Then one day, BAM, its covered and the weather is cold and you cant do anything. The thought that runs through your head is "my god whats gonna happen if I dont take care of this thing every day"! I know, I've been there. Trust your winterizing technique, close late, open early, and you will be suprised how easy it is to get it going again. I know the temptation is there to fool with the pool, but really, once you winterize and cover, leave it be.

Where I live, most people do not blow out the lines because of the piping being well below the freeze line.
We just covered our pool for the first time this past weekend. I have read that if you have some warm days during the winter, you can take a peek of the condition. If it looks like Algae is growing, get a bottle of Winterizer and dump it in.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope all goes well until early spring!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.