Jandy VSP pump issues

Nov 22, 2010
Our pool is barely a month old and we are having issues with the variable speed pump. It is programmed to run 2 hours in the a.m. and 2 hours in the p.m. with the Polaris cleaner running 1 hour during each of these sessions. During the p.m. session on Saturday, everything suddenly shut down (stopped running) and the pump makes this loud thwacking sound. It appeared as though it was trying to pump, but would then shut down again - the thwacking sound always accompanying any attempts to prime. Service company can't come out until Wednesday. We pulled the filter basket at the pump out to see if anything got sucked in there, but found nothing. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? I'm a little concerned because ours was the first VSP pump that our builder had ever installed. Everything has been running great until now. :(

In the meantime, I'm going to familiarize myself with the beginners section - we are definitely pool novices!!!

Since this is the slow season it may take a little while to get an answer to your question. I'm no VSP expert but let me ask a few questions.
1) Is the pump strainer basket full of water when it shuts down?
2) Is the skimmer basket clean?
3) Does it only shut down when the Polaris is running?

The strainer basket wasn't full and we empty the skimmers every day. We've turned the Polaris off and even then it goes through the same thing, seems to prime (making that awful noise) and then we shut it down after a couple of rounds of that. The builder said there's a chance a piece of pebbletec made it in there, but like I said, when we removed the basket and felt around we didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. Guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.