Use "Recirculate" to clean out the intake plumbing!

Lana537

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Hello all,

DH discovered something on his own recently; I wanted to share it:

We have many trees in our yard and neighborhood. We keep our pool running year round, but we do cover it for fall and winter. Before we covered the pool this month, we started with an immaculate pool, skimmers, and pump basket; the filter was backwashed. On a lark, DH decided to use Recirculate and one at a time, have only the main drains taking in water, then only the vacuum port line, then only the skimmers.

Evidently, this greatly increased the rushing of water through these individual lines, and old-looking debris and little leaves that must have been just sitting or lodged in the plumbing lines came rushing into the pump strainer basket. So we got a deep cleaning of sorts. :goodjob:

Who knew? I did do a search before posting this; sorry if it has been talked about already.

Lana

Thanks for the 'field report' :goodjob:

I would imagine that doing similarly (isolating the flow to 1 line at a time) with a freshly backwashed filter would do the same thing. However, doing it as you did eliminates any pressure loss from the filter and is a wonderful idea for the folks here to use :party: :whoot: :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.