Intelliflow Question

Dec 8, 2009
I'd like to swap my energy sucking Starite pump out with a new Pentair Intelliflow to get some real savings immediately. My question is.... do I have to buy a controller like an ez touch or similar to make this work since all I have now is an Intermatic 24 hour timer? The pool has a spa and a suction cleaner run from the skimmer.

Thanks!

had precisely same question and situation last month.

I bought and installed the IntelliFlow VF and removed all Intermatic Timers from the wall as the VF has it's own programming console right on the pump. In my current setup (see sig line), I have no need for additional timers.

If everything was controlled solely by time, then you could just program that in the pump directly. However, do you have a separate pump for your spa? If so, then that isn't controlled by time so how do you turn on the higher flow rates for the spa?

If you just need to turn on and off programs defined in the pump via an external controller you already have, you can use IntelliComm which is very basic and is just an interface between existing controllers and the IntelliFlo pump. If you want more control than the 4 programs at the pump, then you can get EasyTouch or IntelliTouch depending on the number of controls you need and the level of sophistication. Basically, if you already have existing controllers for temperature sensors and automatic valves (say, for a solar system), then you can just use IntelliComm. If you want to have a separate wired or remote control panel or want to replace existing controllers you may have you would get EasyTouch. IntelliTouch adds more capability to control more devices (more than 8, for example) and to have macros that let you have one button turn on/off multiple features. You can read about IntelliComm, EasyTouch, IntelliTouch.

Finally bought a Hayward Ecostar that has built in timer. So whats the proper way to wire it since I have the current pump and heater wired thru a basic 240v Intermatic 24 hour timer. How does the heater get wired in with the new pump? Thanks

Well I decided to read the manual and after staring at the timer for a second it made sense. It was a breeze to install. The pump isnt as quiet as the Intelliflo even on a low setting but its going to be fine.

socalpool said:
Well I decided to read the manual and after staring at the timer for a second it made sense. It was a breeze to install. The pump isnt as quiet as the Intelliflo even on a low setting but its going to be fine.

Wait untill the intelliflo xf comes out..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The new fixed speed XF pump is designed to be as efficient as possible at very high flow rates. It is primarily designed for use with large waterfalls and negative edge pools where very large flow rates are required. Rumors are that there will be a variable speed version of the XF eventually, and some people claim to have seen one, but there hasn't been any official announcement yet.

It seems very likely that the optimization required to work efficiently at very low flow rates, normally used with variable speed pumps, will have to be different from what they did in the XF. My assumption is that they will apply some of the technology that went into the XF back to the IntelliFlo, but optimized differently to be more competitive with the EcoStar. As of now there is no word of when of even if they will do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.