Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intelliflow Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Intelliflow Question

I'd like to swap my energy sucking Starite pump out with a new Pentair Intelliflow to get some real savings immediately. My question is.... do I have to buy a controller like an ez touch or similar to make this work since all I have now is an Intermatic 24 hour timer? The pool has a spa and a suction cleaner run from the skimmer.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intelliflow Question

had precisely same question and situation last month.

I bought and installed the IntelliFlow VF and removed all Intermatic Timers from the wall as the VF has it's own programming console right on the pump. In my current setup (see sig line), I have no need for additional timers.

3. Back To Top    #3

If everything was controlled solely by time, then you could just program that in the pump directly. However, do you have a separate pump for your spa? If so, then that isn't controlled by time so how do you turn on the higher flow rates for the spa?

If you just need to turn on and off programs defined in the pump via an external controller you already have, you can use IntelliComm which is very basic and is just an interface between existing controllers and the IntelliFlo pump. If you want more control than the 4 programs at the pump, then you can get EasyTouch or IntelliTouch depending on the number of controls you need and the level of sophistication. Basically, if you already have existing controllers for temperature sensors and automatic valves (say, for a solar system), then you can just use IntelliComm. If you want to have a separate wired or remote control panel or want to replace existing controllers you may have you would get EasyTouch. IntelliTouch adds more capability to control more devices (more than 8, for example) and to have macros that let you have one button turn on/off multiple features. You can read about IntelliComm, EasyTouch, IntelliTouch.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Finally bought a Hayward Ecostar that has built in timer. So whats the proper way to wire it since I have the current pump and heater wired thru a basic 240v Intermatic 24 hour timer. How does the heater get wired in with the new pump? Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

What made you decide with Ecostar vs. Intelliflo?
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Price, efficiency, and the rest of equipment is Hayward. Intelliflo is proven but I think Ecostar will be right up there after time.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I decided to read the manual and after staring at the timer for a second it made sense. It was a breeze to install. The pump isnt as quiet as the Intelliflo even on a low setting but its going to be fine.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by socalpool
    Well I decided to read the manual and after staring at the timer for a second it made sense. It was a breeze to install. The pump isnt as quiet as the Intelliflo even on a low setting but its going to be fine.
    Wait untill the intelliflo xf comes out..
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll bite - what's the XF and what's so great about it?
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by phalcon51
    I'll bite - what's the XF and what's so great about it?
    3" or 2 1/2" in and out, rumored to run at over 200gpm.

Larger basket, I bet at 30gpm it will be very quiet.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

11. Back To Top    #11

What's the advantage to that much flow? Does the typical backyard pool need something like this or is it for a pool with lots of water accessories?
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

12. Back To Top    #12

The new fixed speed XF pump is designed to be as efficient as possible at very high flow rates. It is primarily designed for use with large waterfalls and negative edge pools where very large flow rates are required. Rumors are that there will be a variable speed version of the XF eventually, and some people claim to have seen one, but there hasn't been any official announcement yet.

It seems very likely that the optimization required to work efficiently at very low flow rates, normally used with variable speed pumps, will have to be different from what they did in the XF. My assumption is that they will apply some of the technology that went into the XF back to the IntelliFlo, but optimized differently to be more competitive with the EcoStar. As of now there is no word of when of even if they will do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School