Air in Liquador "out" line.

surgdog

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2010
Madison, MS
Help.

I got my Liquidator hooked up yesterday and having been having trouble with air.

I have reviewed the archives here but still need to ask this question.

I have a Liquidator Model 201 with upgrade kit. I initially had a lot of air in system until the container filled. Then still had enough air to having blowing bubbles and tickling in my return lines. I reviewed everything on the forum and set about to correct it.

#1) I tightened my clamps on the 3/8 in holes and added some silicone adhesive around the washer to pipe connection. I really tightened the screws on the in and out connections to the Liquidator and used teflon tape on it.

#2) I put teflon tape on ALL the screw connections and doubled it up on the flow meter connections.

#3) I pushed in the tubing all the way into the slip connectors and triple checked them.

Now I do not have hardly any air from the returns and don't hear it in the pipes. The "in" flow tubing is clear of air at this point but there is still a fair bit of air in the "out" tubing all the way from the Liquidator to the suction connection before the pump.

Two caveats, I have the flow set to 2 but the line does clear significantly when I turn up to full flow.

First question is it ok to have air in the "out" line if it is not being transferred to the pool?

Second question is air in the "out" line normal for low flow setting of around 2?

Third question if this is not normal what in the world do I need to do next to alleviate the problem?

Concurrently while this is going on I had the sand changed in my filter and a new multi-port placed last week and I now have a fair bit of sand in my pool. The pool guy says there is probably a broken lateral they didn't see and will fix next week. Could this have anything to do with my problem with air? I don't think so because there was no air problem prior to installing the Liqudator.

Saying all that I got the thing loaded with 6% bleach and overnight did not loss any Cl.

Once I overcome my air and sand problem I will be good to go.

Even though I enjoy the challenge this all reminds me of the old adage that a pool is a hole in the ground you throw money into.

Thank you for your advice. After this question I will definitely become a TFP supporter due to all the kind help I get.

Surgdog

Air bubbles in the out tubing isn't a problem. I usually have a few bubbles in the out tubing under low flow. I think it's caused by the high FC reacting in the tubing. I noticed that after a little while the bubbles got less than when the install was new.

I had problems with air in the lines too. I couldn't seem to make it stop no matter how much I teflon tape or paste I used. After a week or so I figured well, its working and my FC is where I need it to be so I won't worry about it... until all of a sudden one day my pump wouldn't prime. There was too much air going into it. Well, it turned out the problem was the flow indicator -- you can't put too much teflon tape on those screw connections because it will cause them to split. In fact, I recalled hearing about this problem in other postings. I took out that indicator and hooked everything back together without it and there's no longer any problem with air getting into that line.

As you may know, this is a lifetime warranty item, so I've requested and received a replacement. This time, I'm hoping just one turn of the tape and a glop of the teflon paste at both ends will seal it... we'll see. :roll:

Dave, please clarify: when you say air bubbles in the out tubing, I'm assuming you mean the line that comes from the LQ into the PVC after the filter, correct? That line is coming out of the IN (right side) on the LQ and its going into the pool, not into the pump. And because it is coming out of the LQ, due to the chlorine mixed in with the pool water, there is outgassing (air bubbles) in that line... which is okay. Right? :?

Its confusing to me the way the OUT and IN are labeled on the LQ, it reversed of what I'd think it would be. The way I look at it is OUT is coming out of the pool and IN is going back into it. And the OUT line is the line that has that tricky flow indictor on it. The IN line can have outgassing bubbles, but I don't want air in the OUT line as it will go thru my pump and could mess it up. Please, correct me if I'm wrong :hammer:

Here's some clarification. The "IN" of the LQ is the port where water flows into the LQ. The "OUT" of the LQ is the port where the water flows out of the LQ.

What makes it confusing is that the IN of the LQ ties to the discharge (out) side of the pump, filter, etc. and the OUT of the LQ ties to the suction (in) of the pump.

So when I say bubbles in the OUT side of the LQ it's the line going to the pump suction that has the flow meter and flow valve in it.

The labeling confuses me too, terri, and I've installed dozens of them!

I took my flow meter off long ago. I don't really need to see where the flow is, and since I test FC every day or two, the flow really gets set where it is needed, regardless of the position of the ball. Plus, it is one less thing to have in line!

Ok, if I have this correct air in the "out" line is due to a chemical reaction and not a problem, right?

I now have my flowmeter at 2 and my FC this am was 18, increase from yesterday. I guess I need to cut back to 1 and see what happens.

Does this all sound right?

Thanks, Salp.

After I posted the above reply I got a call from my wife informing me the pool guys were there to repair the sand filter and they were concerned that the Liquidator was not connected correctly (they think it is backwards).

They think the return ("out") should not be in front of the pump as this will screw up the pump.

As I see it the water from the Liquidator returning to the pump is not much more concentrated than the regular pool water. I don't think they understand the concept that for the Liquidator to work there has to be a pressure differential.

Am I correct in assuming that most pool guys first can't grasp the concept of BBB method and subsequently the idea and function of the Liquidator is beyond their ability to comprehend?

I need back up from you gurus to back my wife down.

Thanks,

MK

I don't remember the exact number, but the water entering my pump after mixing with the Liquidator output is only a few ppm higher FC level than the pool water. Certainly not enough to affect the pump.

The FC out of the LQ is only a few ppm more than pool water as John said, but even if you were putting 12% in without dilution, you're only talking about 1cc/min or less in a flow of 30 - 60 gpm so it still wouldn't be an issue for any of the equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Surgdog,

I think JohnT and Bama Rambler answered your question. I just want to make sure that your "OUT" from the LQ is going to just before the pump basket on your pump and the "IN" from the LQ is going somewhere after the filter? Correct??

Yes that is correct, Salp. The "out" line is just before the pump basket.

If I connected it the way the pool folks wanted to then it wouldn't run since there would be no pressure differential to fill the LQ.

If the "out" line is on the high pressure side of the pump the thing wouldn't work.

My "in" line is just after the sand filter and before the heater (which isn't working right now anyway).

Besides air in the "out" line which was explained earlier in this thread by the reaction between bleach and water I think it is working as it should. I have no further air coming out of the pool returns.

Does all this sound correct. Thanks.

MK

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem getting air in my out line (out from the LQ). I initially had the adjustable flow valve just before the flow meter as described in the manual, but the flow meter was getting lots of air bubbles in it and wasn't reading accurate. So I switched the flow valve to just downstream of the flow meter, and no more air bubbles in the meter. So it seems my flow valve is leaking a small amount of air into it due to the strong suction of my pump. The setup is now such that the flow valve is just before the pump, and I can see some air bubbles in the line going into the pump, but not enough to cause any concern.

Now it's winter I'm thinking ahead to setting it up this spring and I am perhaps going to swap out my flow valve to the one USPLASTICS sell. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

It seems to me that you have the upgrade kit also, correct? If so, that should be the same flow valve you have (or very similar).

I would try your fit on the tubing into the flow valve. If you are drawing in air it is because you do not have the tubing in all the way or there is a burr or dirt allowing air to get by the fitting.

So you have the type that goes over the barb instead of in a push fitting then, correct? I can see how that would tend to draw air. The push fittings are a snugger fit, and don't have a tendency to allow air in.

Yes, the one you are considering purchasing is very similar to the one we sell. It should do the trick for you!

Flyboy, double check your flow meter, it is possible you could have a crack at either end of the fittings. I have found that to much teflon tape and over tighten will cause the plastic to crack.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.