If I cover the pool do I have to close

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I am in South Texas and we will have overnight lows in the mid to high 20s a few nights a year. Most days it will warm to 40s and certainly above freezing. I have a 7,500 gal ABG that is protected from wind. In the past I simply cut the pump time down and left the pool uncovered. However, the leaf drop is very heavy and it is difficult to keep the pool clean. Every spring it is a huge job to get the leaves out. This year I want to cover the pool. Since the cover is not hard it will be floating on the water. I would like to continue to do what I have done in the past - rely on circulation to keep from freezing, but am concerned about the cover blocking the skimmer and also water level getting too low and I not knowing it. What would you guys do in my situation?
As always, thanks.

Your plan will work but you will have to make sure the water level doesn't get too low in the skimmer. That's easy to do though. You should be able to look into the skimmer and check and add what you need to. Since it'll be covered you won't have to worry about evaporation very much.

I did that the first year with my above ground pool. Just like Bama said, check the water level inside the skimmer and run a hose through there to top off if needed. You may want to raise the water level up a bit as extra insurance. With the cover on you won't be skimming debris off the top so you can keep the water higher.

In the spring be sure to get all the nasties off the cover before you try to remove it. We didn't and the cheap cover I had tore and dumped all that mess in the water. It went from clean to green in about 60 seconds. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.